MORE woes (pump humming)

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
IkeRay
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

MORE woes (pump humming)

Postby IkeRay » Wed 05 Sep, 2007 09:18

so, its been about 2 weeks since my pump has moved water. i have an air leak that i have been trying to diagnosis every free time i had (which was minimal) and finally figured out that it was 1 of 2 things, either the pump seal gasket or the basket lid. i dont know which it was of the 2, but i replaced both and now it works.

YAY, the pump is pumping water....or was. all of the sudden i hear a loud "HUMMMMMM" coming from the equipment and when i went to investigate, it was coming from the pump. water was no longer moving so im scared that the pump might have frozen up. is there any way to be certain, and is there a cheaper way to fix this than getting a new pump?

i planned on taking it apart tonight and making sure the impeller didnt have something in it causing it not to turn and to see if it turns freely.

IkeRay
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby IkeRay » Wed 05 Sep, 2007 11:16

ok, i just pulled the pump out and the impeller moved freely, didnt see anything that would be obstructing the flow.

and the noise sounded like when a motor is turning but its not able to turn the shaft, like if you hold the end of a drill and start it, it struggles to turn it, only louder.

any suggestions or should i just take the motor into a shop to see what they say?
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Thu 06 Sep, 2007 18:46

you can have it fixed and not get a warranty normally or buy new motor with a warranty.
macd0g
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby macd0g » Thu 11 Oct, 2007 01:16

sounds like your capacitor maybe? in the electic box on the top of the pump there may be a 4"cylinder with 2 wires coming off it. check to see if it has blown, and replace if necesary.
IkeRay
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby IkeRay » Sat 20 Oct, 2007 21:45

alright, yall might laugh at this, but i decided i wanted to know first hand if the motor was beyond repair or not, so i hooked it up without being on the pump housing. it worked perfectly......

my motor is not shot (as i thought), my description was dead on to the problem....it seems that when i had the seals replaced (by Leslie's pool supply) they installed the wrong pump seal. the impeller is spring loaded and when enough pressure builds up in there, it is pushing the impeller up against the C-frame of the pump and stopping (if that makes sense). so either i need a new seal or a new spring, or both....but it was leslie's fault (im sticking to that). im going to take it in tomorrow and hopefully i will have a clean pool again.....just in time for 1-2 more swims before the temp drops for good...

just so everyone knows, it was 95* today (with heat factor) and next weekend the high is supposed to be ~65*.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”