New to all this

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Pool Noob
I'm new here
I'm new here

New to all this

Postby Pool Noob » Tue 11 Sep, 2007 18:12

Hi, I just purchased a house with my first pool. I have never done anything to a pool before besides swim in other people, after they do alll the hard work maintaining them.

If you could answer a few questions to get me started it would be greatly appreciated.

I have an above ground pool.

How do I know what its made of, eg liner type etc?

How do I know how much it holds?

The pool filter doesnt seem to register any pressure, there is a bit of suction at the skimmer, and coming out of the jet, but I think it should be more. I have cleaned baskets and checked pipes for blockages or leaks, but cant seem to find any. I have backwashed.

What else should I look for?

I know I should buy a good test kit, but haven't yet, are there any I should stay away from? Or anyone recommend a good one?

How often should I be adding chlorine? The pool is sort of clean, but it has mirky water, definately not right? And should I stop adding until I sort out the filter/pump properly?

Thats enough to start with I think, thanks for any help.

mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Tue 11 Sep, 2007 19:20

How do I know what its made of, eg liner type etc?

Above ground pools are Vinly

How do I know how much it holds?

this site will figure it out if you know dimensions look at bottom of page
www. poolcalculator. com

The pool filter doesnt seem to register any pressure, there is a bit of suction at the skimmer, and coming out of the jet, but I think it should be more. I have cleaned baskets and checked pipes for blockages or leaks, but cant seem to find any. I have backwashed.

what kind of filter is it, it should say some where on the side of it. The gauge could be broken, some will show pressure when dirty.
If sand filter, you might need to change it
DE filter, you might need to clean it

I know I should buy a good test kit, but haven't yet, are there any I should stay away from? Or anyone recommend a good one?

taylor test kit

How often should I be adding chlorine? The pool is sort of clean, but it has mirky water, definately not right? And should I stop adding until I sort out the filter/pump properly?

Go by test kit and then you will know what to add, they will come with directions and break it down for you.
Pool Noob
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Pool Noob » Wed 12 Sep, 2007 00:30

Thanks for the info. You can probably tell by my questions that I have absolutely no idea about pools at this stage, I appreciate the help.
When I asked the pool shop, they said they need someone to come out and have a look, for $75.00. And I might have nothing wrong!!

So I have an above ground Vinly pool.

It holds approx 23000 litres.

The filter is a Sta-rite sand filter. Should I be concerned if the gauge isn't reading? On the gauge it has a 'filter' zone, I thought it would sit in this range whilst turned on.

I will pick up the test kit asap.

Thanks again for the help. I need it :(

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”