Is there such a thing as 'Pool Pipe Artheroschlerosis'? :-)

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
newbie in Texas

Is there such a thing as 'Pool Pipe Artheroschlerosis'? :-)

Postby newbie in Texas » Sun 16 Sep, 2007 14:10

I have a pool with a DE filter and this summer I've been having the problem of high pressure at the filter gauge. Even right after backwashing or physically cleaning the filters inside the DE filter, I only have 'regular' pressure for a couple of hours... then pressure goes way high and only a trickle of water comes out of the jets.

Any suggestions or recommendations? I don't want to go the Drano route! :-)

mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Sun 16 Sep, 2007 14:23

How old is this DE filter?
When you clean it and say it works for a few hours, the return lines flow good?
The reason I ask is I once saw a DE filter which was having trouble, opened it up and DE was inside of DE grids not on outside of grids. I replumbed inlet and outlet pipes to filter and it worked great.
Have you inspected grids if they are broken/crushed inside or checked plastic manifold for cracks/leaks?
newbie in Texas

Pipe Artheroschlerosis

Postby newbie in Texas » Sun 16 Sep, 2007 20:45

I just cleaned the inside of the DE filter -hosing down the filters inside. They appear to be in good shape and I did not see any evident cracks.
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Mon 17 Sep, 2007 09:19

I only have 'regular' pressure for a couple of hours... then pressure goes way high and only a trickle of water comes out of the jets.

How big is DE Filter? How much DE powder do you put in?
Sense you get regular pressure for a couple hrs, the problem is in filter not clogged lines. Do you have a seperation tank with DE filter? This basically catches DE powder when Backwashing instead of going to waste line pipe. Have you Inspected backwash handle? Which type do you have? The one thats under filter tank or next to filter tank you twist and pull? The twist and pull can go bad and start poping up slightly where you do not notice it and basically starts backwashing and pressure rises.
sallee

Re: Is there such a thing as 'Pool Pipe Artheroschlerosis'?

Postby sallee » Mon 17 Sep, 2007 13:37

newbie in Texas wrote:I have a pool with a DE filter and this summer I've been having the problem of high pressure at the filter gauge. Even right after backwashing or physically cleaning the filters inside the DE filter, I only have 'regular' pressure for a couple of hours... then pressure goes way high and only a trickle of water comes out of the jets.

Any suggestions or recommendations? I don't want to go the Drano route! :-)

I too have had issues with what I was told was a return line blockage. I have a sand filter so it different than yours. But I also have high pressure on Recirc...which I should have NO pressure on recirc.. I took my entire MPV into a dealer here thinking that it was something to do with the valve- but they just called and they dont see anthing amiss. Any suggestions??
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Mon 17 Sep, 2007 14:42

How long has this been a problem? If you have blockage it would be sand and you would see it in pool normally. When's the last time sand was replaced? Have you inspected inside of filter? How old is pressure gauge, does it still go down to 0?

The only way you would be able to check out lines to make sure if they were clogged would be to remove return pipe from filter and take a air compressor with nozle that blows air and insert it with old shirt around it and see if anything came out returns.
sallee

Postby sallee » Mon 17 Sep, 2007 14:58

mr_clean wrote:How long has this been a problem? If you have blockage it would be sand and you would see it in pool normally. When's the last time sand was replaced? Have you inspected inside of filter? How old is pressure gauge, does it still go down to 0?

The only way you would be able to check out lines to make sure if they were clogged would be to remove return pipe from filter and take a air compressor with nozle that blows air and insert it with old shirt around it and see if anything came out returns.

I noticed the pressure slightly going up this summer and thought I would need to change the sand... but wanted to waite til the end part of summer since my pool stayed pretty clean.... The cheapo in me wanted to make the sand last as long as possible. At the beginning of summer I noticed the pressure crept up from 20-22 to 25-26-ish....now its over 32-34..... Oh yea....I did ALL that....changed the sand....completely removed my chlorinator (for the time being) ...opened the line - used the DRAIN king thing.....After doing all this...got in touch with a local and well respected pool company in OKC..... a very nice fellow there said that if I have as high a pressure on recirc...its probably in the MPV..... so I took that off and took it in to them......but they called and said it looks fine....I to was told that NO plumber would snake my drain for fear of damaging the pipes at their expense..... AND>>>. I know theres more.......and I went around to each of the returns in the pool and systematically closed/opened them to see if I could somehow isolate the problem a little more..... I am at my wits end with this thing.....argh....
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Mon 17 Sep, 2007 15:31

If you used drain king and everything seemed good it's something with the filter or Multiport valve. I would have them replace spider gasket which is not alot of money or do it yourself and see what happens when hooking it back up. If this is bad you could still be leaking into backwash which will make gauge go up. When backwashing can you see water go into drain pipe above ground at the trap or does it go directly into ground? This would also tell you if it leaks, have you lost any water more than normal?
sallee

Postby sallee » Mon 17 Sep, 2007 15:44

mr_clean wrote:If you used drain king and everything seemed good it's something with the filter or Multiport valve. I would have them replace spider gasket which is not alot of money or do it yourself and see what happens when hooking it back up. If this is bad you could still be leaking into backwash which will make gauge go up. When backwashing can you see water go into drain pipe above ground at the trap or does it go directly into ground? This would also tell you if it leaks, have you lost any water more than normal?

I have not lost any water....which I am THANKFUL for....So I dont think I have a colapsed pipe...and they are all PVC... I am unsure of what you mean by seeing the backwash water....I know that it is going into the backwash pipe..and the pressure is about 10 on backwash.....
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Mon 17 Sep, 2007 16:52

What I was saying is that the spider gasket seperates the different functions that the multiport valve has, so if it is bad you would not keep seperated and more than one thing could be happening.
Example when in normal position with pump running does it leak water into backwash trap where water goes when backwashing? The trap would be near-by above the ground. If you backwash and can not see this only hear it, then your pipe goes directly into ground to main sewer line.
Some people even have it just shoot into garden.

Check to see if there is a closed or partially closed valve along your return piping, open the valve.
Did you replace sand with same amount and use silica sand?
sallee

Postby sallee » Mon 17 Sep, 2007 19:35

mr_clean wrote:What I was saying is that the spider gasket seperates the different functions that the multiport valve has, so if it is bad you would not keep seperated and more than one thing could be happening.
Example when in normal position with pump running does it leak water into backwash trap where water goes when backwashing? The trap would be near-by above the ground. If you backwash and can not see this only hear it, then your pipe goes directly into ground to main sewer line.
Some people even have it just shoot into garden.

Check to see if there is a closed or partially closed valve along your return piping, open the valve.
Did you replace sand with same amount and use silica sand?

Yes....I replaced 300lbs of silica sand with the same amount &type. When i picked up the MPV from the pool place they told me that they noticed nothing unusual with it...they lubed it all up...when I came home and put all back togather, I got the same....32psi on filter and recircutlate. My waste line is piped directly into the sewer line. I dont hear any water in the back wash line and actually disconnected the backwash pipe from the MPV....there was no water leaking into the backwash with it on filter. By the way....should I have any pressure when its on recirculate? As I said before, I have 32 - same as on filter...backwash I have about 8-10ish.....I have a friend who says he can bring over his electrical fish line this weekend so that we can double check the return line...I am just not sure what else to do....
Any ideas???....Have I missed anything???
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Mon 17 Sep, 2007 20:59

sense you stated MPV is good and you inspected inside of filter and it is good I would try unclogging return lines again. You can go to a return and unscrew pvc with swivel/eye and find out size of it. Then count returns so you can buy pvc caps for them, then you can blow out each one seperately.
I think using drain king could work but a air compressor would have more power.
you can also replace filter gauge and know it works correct.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”