New Pool Spa drained w/plaster patched

Tile, mosaic, marbelite, Marcite, Marblesheen,
fiberglass, plaster, shotcrete, paint, epoxy coatings.
Use, care and repair of the various surfaces.
dchipsman
I'm new here
I'm new here

New Pool Spa drained w/plaster patched

Postby dchipsman » Mon 24 Sep, 2007 12:29

My Pool was plastered just 2 and a 1/2 weeks ago, but the contractor had to drain the spa to relocate two jets ( They were located for the nether-regions :oops: ). They cut the plaster and shot-crete in large squares to get at the pipes for rerouting.

I have multiple concerns:

1. The spa plaster is showing cracks that I did not see before. The spa has been drained for a week now, and therefore the plaster in the spa has been curing open to the air. These cracks seem to be larger ( can fit paper into the crack, not Hairline) than what is described as crazing.

2. The new plaster patch will need to bond with the exsiting plaster which is tinted. Being that this is the spa, this will have the largest temperature variation and cause the most stress.

3. Could there be issues with the different ages of the plaster in regards to curing.

4. Can the patch be blended to the existing plaster to avoid the appearance of lines at the patch edges?

5. Should the spa have one more coat overall to blend the patch, fill the cracks, and present one continuous surface?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated before I have a coronary!! :x

Thanks,
Dchipsman

mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Mon 24 Sep, 2007 14:32

I would not except spa plaster looking different or having cracks in it and suggest you talk to builder about your concerns. Did you change your mind on location of jets or did they mess up? I think this will be a major point in fixing problem.
dchipsman
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby dchipsman » Mon 24 Sep, 2007 14:39

The contractor messed-up. He actually left room in the shotcrete to raise the jets prior to plaster, but forgot to. :?

Dchipsman
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Mon 24 Sep, 2007 14:55

The contractor messed-up. He actually left room in the shotcrete to raise the jets prior to plaster, but forgot to.

Then it's up to the contractor to fix and make you happy, I would not except anything less. Make sure you know what warranty is for all their work and any loop-holes they would use voiding it for the future.
forrest gump

Postby forrest gump » Sat 13 Oct, 2007 11:56

Unfortunately it's plaster and hasn't even had time to cure. Your contractor has to bite the bullet on this one and redo it. How is he going to patch it? Any check cracking that occurred initially generally seals itselfs. If it has been just sitting dry for a week you're screwed. The only way to salvage the spa would have been to keep the plaster moist by covering with a drop cloth or plastic and wetting the surface as often as possible. Then comes the matter of the patch. Are they just throwing concrete in the holes and if so how. The way it should be done is a concrete adhesive should be used on the surface and the concrete should be mixed using as little water as possible. Then it should be packed into the holes, and I mean PACKED! Then it needs to cure for a week before plastering back over. Otherwise, I see a plaster delam in your future. As for the patch, with colored plaster especially, the only thing guaranteed with a patch is it will not match. Good luck, you're going to need it.

Return to “Pool Surface Discussions”