winterizing

What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
iowa pool owner

winterizing

Postby iowa pool owner » Tue 25 Sep, 2007 10:11

I've seen adds for chemicals that you can put in before closing your pool that are supposed to make opening it easier in the spring. (winterizing kits)

Does anyone have experience with these? Are they worth the investment?

Thanks for any info.

Watergirl
I'm new here
I'm new here

Winterizing

Postby Watergirl » Mon 19 May, 2008 08:38

Hey Iowa,
I just know that we have been winterizing our pool since 2003 (purchased) to the tune of $150-200 and when we reopen the next season always spend approx. $300 for the initial first visit to dealer. This past winter we did not winterize (due to the fact we just did not have the money). We put the cover on and when we took the water sample in Saturday he said it didn't look bad and loaded us up with the chemicals and instructions and charged us $300. So you tell me. I'm starting to think it's all a racket. Sorry to be so negative.
pooltime

no need to close your pool

Postby pooltime » Wed 28 May, 2008 20:47

It is not necessary to close your pool for the winter. But when you take the pool cover off in early spring make sure you do so while the weather is still cold or cool therefore you do not have to add much chlorine to get the water back to normal. You need to watch the some pool stores as they are there to get into your wallet. Some are dishonest as we found out after another (honest ) pool store told us that we didn't need any of the chemicals that they were trying to sell us in years past. We took our pool cover (plastic blue tarp) off after being covered for 4 or 5 months this past winter and added a little chlorine and some ash soda (baking) after having water tested at pool store and it was ready to go. It really is not as difficult as some stores or pool personnel would like for you to believe it is. Try it yourself and have your water tested or use test sticks during regular pool season. It really is more expensive to close a pool and reopen it (expensive to pay others) as well as chemicals than to just leave it open year round. Just leave the pump running year round. It is made to run continuously and the pool motor will last longer. Just make sure your horsepower on your motor is not too large for your pool size and if so replace it to a smaller one. The pool cost of the pump running continuously will be more efficient to run if the horse power is not too big for the size of your pool.

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”