Acid on a pebble sheen pool

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
JE

Acid on a pebble sheen pool

Postby JE » Tue 25 Sep, 2007 21:47

I have heard you can clean a stain on the bottom of a pebble sheen pool by using an acid solution delivered through a pipe to the stain. Has anyone ever tried this or heard of it done. I am interested in knowing the procedure.....Thanks

mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Wed 26 Sep, 2007 15:37

never heard of this, I would think your only going to lower PH & TA depending how much you add.
Whats this stain look like?
You can know if this is a stain by taking a white sock adding 1/2-LB of PH decreaser to it and let it sit on top of stain for 15mins. if it starts to go away it's mineral/metal problem. You would want to buy some metal remover and depending on how bad maybe double dose. Then take PH down to 6.5-6.8 and scrub stain 2-3 times a day until gone. Then readjust PH back.
JE

Postby JE » Mon 08 Oct, 2007 21:18

I had the acid cleaning technique demonstrated to me the other day. A piece of equipment called a stain remover made by the Jandy company was used. It attaches to a telescopic pole and is a small domed piece. It had a 1/4" tubing attached to it which is attached to a muratic acid bottle on the other end. It delivers an acid shot right to the stain. The stain was removed in about 30 seconds. This was a stain I tried brushing out for weeks with no luck. I was also told that you can use a pvc pipe to do this also but it takes longer. I don't know if this is safe for plaster pools but it is for pebblesheen pools. This stain by the way was organic from an oak tree.
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Mon 08 Oct, 2007 21:37

glad to hear that worked for you, just another way to do it then. I know a sock with PH reducer (dry acid) would have worked also.
JE

Postby JE » Mon 08 Oct, 2007 21:46

Mr. Clean,

Thank you for answering my original post. I have no doubt that your suggestion would have worked. I wanted to take care of this myself but since I just had my pool resurfaced I called them back and they dropped by and showed this to me. Quite a cool little piece of equipment. I would have never believed that it would have worked so quickly. Thanks again for your help.
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Tue 09 Oct, 2007 15:09

It attaches to a telescopic pole and is a small domed piece.

Thinking about the small dome piece, it is on so it traps acid in one spot only, like the sock way. If you buy pvc pipe for future then look for pvc attachment that you can glue on which would do the same thing. If you don't then acid would float away.

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”