No suction when using vacuum hose

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
av8tor

Re: No suction when using vacuum hose

Postby av8tor » Sun 23 Jul, 2017 16:49

Got the same problem, did you ever get an answer?????

av8tor

Postby av8tor » Sun 23 Jul, 2017 16:53

system running well, good suction in skimmer, jets running normal. fill the hose up with water from one of the jets, drop it into the skimmer pump runs dry. leave it run, pull the hose back out of the skimmer, pump picks up the prime and runs normal. refill the hose drop it back into the skimmer, pump runs dry. new pump , new hose, new filter. any ideas?
CarolCPalmer
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I am a resident of Ontario. Short course swimming pool which is 25 yardsand 75 feet long. I am very passionate about swimming my husband too. I regularly do the maintenance work for my swimming pool. I also ensure the cleanliness ofmy pool.

Postby CarolCPalmer » Sun 23 Jul, 2017 23:24

You need to check if there are any bubbles in the pump basket. Bubbles mean the pump sucks air, not water. Fill vacuum hose with water before you attach it. Push it down from vacuum head so that the water rises up the hose and then you can attach it.
Check for bubbles with the pump running and without the vacuum hooked up.
It could be due to suction side leak. Meanwhile, you can DIY, if needed, basket lid o-ring, inspect, clean and lube it well. With regard to the pump drain plugs, remove and reseal them. Ensure that the skimmer weir is working freely. Check that the water level in the pool is not creating a vortex.
The plumbing contractors in Toronto say that always put the swivel end of the hose on the vacuum and not the skimmer. Also, check for the pressure when before and after you start vacuuming.
Now, the suction side leak is a leak in the pipes that go from your skimmer back to the pump area.
mdumm

Postby mdumm » Fri 28 Jul, 2017 20:23

Anyone still interested in the outcome of this. The Chlorine tablet feeder was installed backwards. With full suction the water could hold the column of tablets up enough to pass some water thru even though it was pointed in the wrong direction. Plug in the vacuum hose, not enough suction to hold up the tablets in the tower, so they dropped down, plugging off the flow. Uninstalled and reinstalled the chlorine tablet feed tower, everything works perfectly. Bottom line, chlorine feeder installed reversed to the water flow.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 29 Jul, 2017 00:47

mdumm wrote:Anyone still interested in the outcome of this. The Chlorine tablet feeder was installed backwards. With full suction the water could hold the column of tablets up enough to pass some water thru even though it was pointed in the wrong direction. Plug in the vacuum hose, not enough suction to hold up the tablets in the tower, so they dropped down, plugging off the flow. Uninstalled and reinstalled the chlorine tablet feed tower, everything works perfectly. Bottom line, chlorine feeder installed reversed to the water flow.

Congratulations and thanks for posting your solution as it helps others with the same problem and gives them something to check
One thing I would like to point out if you are not aware is that continous use of stabilised chlorine tablets will raise your CYA level so high that your chlorine becomes ineffective and you have to dose higher to maintain correct sanitation levels as in Chlorine / CYA Chart relative to the recommended Pool Levels
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm
MYazzie
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: VINYL LINER

Postby MYazzie » Mon 28 Aug, 2017 22:59

Contact the experienced plumber. They can help you in better way.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”