water pressure lift up the skimer lid

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.

water pressure lift up the skimer lid

Postby Guest » Wed 17 Oct, 2007 22:16

I have a problem when the pump goes off .
Every after noon when the pump goes off ,the skimer basket and the lid gets pushed out of the skimer because of back water pressure .
Rest of the time evrything is fine .
I have a cartridge filter
When the pump is running I have 14 psi .
I tryed to run the pump without cartridge inside the filter ,the pressure is 13psi without cartridge ,and when I turn off same thing .
I noticed if I run the pump 30 minutes ,nothing happen but after 1 hour I get a lot of water coming out of the skimmer lifting up the lid and turning the gasket over .
The next mornoing ,it take for ever to prime the pump.
I guess the pump suck air somehow
Please let me know if you have any idea
Thank you

Postby Guest » Thu 18 Oct, 2007 19:59

I found the problem .
I have a VISION AUTOMATIC WATER PURIFIER .At the bottom is a control valve to adjust the flow .the valve has a bypass position to change the cartridge .
Since a own the house ,I (and the previous owner)never used the system and the valve is on bypass position .
My guess is the valve went bad alowing little bit of water going in the VISION AUTOMATIC WATER PURIFIER but not enough to go out making air pocket inside the cartridge and release it when the pump goes off .
Is it possible ?
It's working fine now .
Ickle
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Ickle » Fri 19 Oct, 2007 10:52

Several Questions
What level is your plant above your pool level?
What is the pool return flow like good/bad?
Do you have any air noise coming from the plant once it is turned off?
Demayor

Same problem

Postby Demayor » Thu 10 Jan, 2008 01:51

I have the exact same problem as the original poster. Everytime the pump shuts off the skiimer basket and lid shoot up in the air.
I have looked everywhere for an air leak and cannot find any.

Everything started when I replaced my filtering cartriges. I re-openned the filter to make sure they were properly instaled and they seemed fine. I also replaced the pressure valve and gauge. Please help, it is very frustrating to have to prime the pump every time. I had to disablethe automatic switch.

Thanks in advance.
DBServices
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby DBServices » Wed 19 Mar, 2008 20:29

You need to install a check valve between the pump and filter. That will stop the back flow and fix the priming problems.
Dave
The Pool Guy
commercialpools at bellsouth.n e t

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”