priming

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
aug2305

priming

Postby aug2305 » Sat 20 Oct, 2007 09:07

My pipe at the connection at the pump,going out of it is laking around the base of it what can i seal this with?And do I have to replace the pipe?

mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Sat 20 Oct, 2007 12:11

My pipe at the connection at the pump,going out of it is laking around the base of it what can i seal this with?And do I have to replace the pipe?

The best thing to do is fix it the correct way. If it's metal pipe or PVC you can cut and unscrew it from pump, leaving enough pipe left so you can reattach another fitting to it coming out of the ground. If it's a metal pipe you need a Copper to PVC fitting so you can then use PVC the rest of the way to the pump, which should be short run. Get fine sand paper and clean end of copper pipe and attach Copper end of fitting to pipe, then use PVC pipe and fittings the rest of the way to pump. If PVC, then same thing without Copper to PVC fitting, should not be alot of money. Remeber to use pipe dope which is like a white crayon in stead of pipe tape for threads on pipe that screw into front of pump.

If just looking for quick fix, dry off area which is leaking, clean as good as possible and use silicone to fix leak. Sense it's a suction leak it can last until you have time to fix it the correct way.
AUG2305

POOL LEAK

Postby AUG2305 » Tue 23 Oct, 2007 08:54

SO I CUT THE PIPE COMING OUT OF TE PUMP,BEFORE THE COONECTING PIECE OR ON TOP OF THE CONNECTING PIECE,IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN IF YOU HAD SPRINKLER PIPE AND YOU NEEDED A CONNECTOR YOU WOULD GLUE IT TOGETHER SO I SHOULD CUT ON TOP OF THE CONNECTOR TO LEAVE ENOUGH ROOM TO CONNECT ANOTHER PIPE
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Wed 24 Oct, 2007 15:38

so it sounds like you have pvc pipe & the piece you are talking about is a pvc coupling. Is the leak coming out at top where pvc threaded pipe screws into top of pump? If so unsrew it and put pipe dope on it nice & thick & screw it back in. Then get pvc fittings, primer & glue back together.
If it was leaking from pipe & coupling then cut & redo.
This would be like doing a sprinkler system just bigger pipe normally
1-1/2'' or 2''.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”