Polaris 360 Problems

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
jimmyrmcl

Polaris 360 Problems

Postby jimmyrmcl » Wed 14 Nov, 2007 11:13

I inherited a Polaris from the prvious owners so I'm guessing it's about 5 or so years old. Lately, it's been running slowing and the suction doesn't appear to be what it's been in the past. I know it's not a pump problem because we just had it replaced and when I take the hose off, water flow is fine. What are some possible causes?

Ickle
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Ickle » Wed 14 Nov, 2007 12:14

without seeing this your cleaner working its difficult for me to suggest a soloution but to start with, is your cleaner still upright and sitting correctly on the floor, if not you will probably need the main head float replacing.
If it is still sitting properly, then it could be a wheel bearing problem or turbine bearing.
If your cleaner is simply running slow, check that you have got good flow return. You say that the pump was recently changed, but was it changed like for like, and power for power?
Another possiblity is that if you Polaris has a back up valve in the line is broken. Quite often i find these a problem the casing is prone to cracking and therefore reducing the flow to the head of the machine.
If none of these seem to be the problem get back to us on here, im sure i can think of a few more suggestions
jimmyrmcl

Postby jimmyrmcl » Wed 14 Nov, 2007 14:26

It lies flat at the bottom. And now that mention it, I think it is the back up valve. It always seems to be spraying water out. It still backs up every several minutes, but it's also spraying water. How much does a new back up valve run?
Ickle
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Ickle » Thu 15 Nov, 2007 10:39

Not sure where you are so prices would vary but they can be expensive for what they are. If its laying on its side then check that the head float is full of water too, if it is you may find changing this also will help.
A new back up valve you would find would maybe seep a little water out when not running, and run full bore when it was in its open position, so if youve got water running constantly id expect it would need changing
Lebo

Polaris 360 Problems

Postby Lebo » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 09:23

Cracks have appeared on my Polaris G-52 backup valves on three occasions now in the past 6-7 years. Each time the crack is at the same place on the valve casing - just next to the side outlet port. Many others seem to report the same issue with this valve. Is it not time that Polaris be flagged by the FTC for supplying a defective part? Why should we all have to shell out $50+ every three years to replace a stock part that suffers from an obviously flawed design or manufacturing process? Write to the FTC or your favorite consumer protection group and let them know about this unaddressed issue.
dalehileman

Polaris 360 Problems

Postby dalehileman » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 14:01

Jimmy I experienced your very problem with my Polaris 380, caused by cracks around the base of both the upward jets
luptona

Polaris 360 Problems/Junk

Postby luptona » Sun 31 Oct, 2010 14:40

My experience with Polaris in general has been pretty bad. Their attempt at appropriate levels of planned obsolescense borders on criminal in my personal opinion. If you are only spending $50 a year to replace parts, you're lucky. For the first 6 years my 360 was in operation, I spent more than that just on the hoses each time which wore out and broke every couple of months. A few years ago they improved the hoses and I am only replaceing them about every 12 - 18 months now. The bulk of the internal parts are junk; the bearings are cheaply made and fall apart easily, the bags disintegrate annually and the belts and gears go about every 2 years. After year 6, I had to do a complete factory rebuilt at $250 and it lasted only 3 years and I have to do it again now because once again, the bearings all disintegrated, the belts broke and the axle rounded off leaving a free spinning wheel. The 360 is notorious for driving around with the front end off the floor of the pool and falls over on it's side and just spins around in circle. My neighbor has a four wheel Letro Legend that has nearly zero maintenance requirements and has never replaced a hose in the 12 years it has been running. Polaris has me over a barrel on this one because I can't afford to switch out the existing setup for a better setup without having to spend a grand or more... so I'll just have to look forward to a $250 rebuild every 3 years or so. Next house... no Polaris... period.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”