Backwashing according to pressure gauge or not?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
sparkwatercleaner
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Backwashing according to pressure gauge or not?

Postby sparkwatercleaner » Tue 20 Nov, 2007 18:43

I regulary clean my sand filter when the backpressure shown on the gauge is more or less 4 to just 5 psi higher than starting pressure, and all the equipment, togethter with the pool, is new. I've got to do this 'cause if not, the skimmer (just one, it is the only suction device which has its valve open) won't collect the debris because of low suction. Is this ok? Any problem if I do so?
I ask 'cause I've been told just to backwash when the pressure gets 8-10 psi higher.

mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Wed 21 Nov, 2007 12:20

I regulary clean my sand filter when the backpressure shown on the gauge is more or less 4 to just 5 psi higher than starting pressure, and all the equipment, togethter with the pool, is new. I've got to do this 'cause if not, the skimmer (just one, it is the only suction device which has its valve open) won't collect the debris because of low suction. Is this ok? Any problem if I do so?
I ask 'cause I've been told just to backwash when the pressure gets 8-10 psi higher.

you could have a under-sized filter if this happens to much & causes suction to slow down like you state. One thing you can try is to cut all your bushes/trees so there is not so much debris getting into your pool. This should also help with chemical usage, like chlorine getting used up.
Having to backwash to often will cause sand to have to be changed out sooner than normal.
sparkwatercleaner
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby sparkwatercleaner » Wed 21 Nov, 2007 15:13

mr_clean wrote:you could have a under-sized filter if this happens to much & causes suction to slow down like you state. One thing you can try is to cut all your bushes/trees so there is not so much debris getting into your pool. This should also help with chemical usage, like chlorine getting used up.
Having to backwash to often will cause sand to have to be changed out sooner than normal.

but.... if the filter is under-sized, what difference would it make with one that is bigger, if the pump is the same?
Note: my problem is not that my filter gets dirty quickly, but that suction is lowered considerably when backpressure increases barely 4 psi.
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Wed 21 Nov, 2007 16:59

but.... if the filter is under-sized, what difference would it make with one that is bigger, if the pump is the same?
Note: my problem is not that my filter gets dirty quickly, but that suction is lowered considerably when backpressure increases barely 4 psi.

If your filter requires frequent backwashing, every week or two, the sand bed may be "mudballed", or it may be "channeled". Other water balance problems may also contribute to sand deterioration, but a properly sized filter could go over 5 years between sand changes.

MUDBALLED: clumps of debris that do not come out when backwashed.

CHANNELED SAND: When water has worked open "holes" in the sand and is streaming right through (without really going through the sand).

heres a chart that recommends filter sizes with pumps.
filter chart
sparkwatercleaner
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby sparkwatercleaner » Wed 21 Nov, 2007 17:44

how to get rid of mudballed and / or channeled sand?
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Wed 21 Nov, 2007 19:37

you need to open up your filter & look inside, if mudballing take out debris & run hose cleaning after.

if channeling replace sand. remember backwashing to much when not really needed can cause it.
sparkwatercleaner
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby sparkwatercleaner » Thu 22 Nov, 2007 16:28

thanks mr_clean
last question...
to open the filter (top mount, with the multiport valve on top) will y need to unscrew or cut the pipes???
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Fri 23 Nov, 2007 10:17

you should not have to cut anything.

best thing to do is read your owner's manuel for filter which will give you instructions, if you do not have find on internet by typing in "product-brand-model#" and you normally can down-load.
sparkwatercleaner
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby sparkwatercleaner » Sun 25 Nov, 2007 09:50

ok thanks
Ickle
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Ickle » Thu 29 Nov, 2007 16:24

Hopefully you have some "union" fittings on your plumbing allowng the removal of the multiport valve. If not you may need to cut pipes, and i would suggest putting some "unions" in the lines once cut
sparkwatercleaner
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby sparkwatercleaner » Thu 29 Nov, 2007 20:08

I've checked the pipes, and these "unions" seem to be sealed with some sort of plumbing glue. Anyway, I'll try to open the filter when I have some time.
sparkwatercleaner
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby sparkwatercleaner » Thu 06 Dec, 2007 14:50

I've made the following test!

1- After having backwashed, saw the pressure gauge.
2- Stopped the pump and set the multiport valve to "closed".
3- Turned on the pump, rapidly saw the gauge, immediately turned off the pump.
4- Set the valve again to "filter".

What I got to know from this was that the maximum pressure my pump could do was 10 psi higher than the pressure at normal filtering, I simulated a completely clogged filter, with no water passing through it. So, in my case, if I wait till the pressure of the filter gets 10 psi higher than the normal filtering pressure , my pump will break down, as there would be no circulation. This means, again, in my case, that I've got to backwash when pressure gets 6 psi higher and no more.

Do you agree (and understand what I explained)???
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Sat 08 Dec, 2007 23:51

How often do you need to backwash your filter?
sparkwatercleaner
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby sparkwatercleaner » Sun 09 Dec, 2007 19:42

How often do you need to backwash your filter?

I run my filter 5 hours a day during swimming season, which comes to be right now here where I live.
I backwash my filter once every 2/3 weeks.
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Mon 10 Dec, 2007 19:48

what size sand filter do you have? It should tell you on the side of it.
what size pump do you have? it also will tell you.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”