Pump won't prime

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
scott

Pump won't prime

Postby scott » Sat 08 Dec, 2007 17:21

We just replaced our pool filter pump and now we cannot get it to prime No water seems to be coming into the basket. Any suggestions??/

mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Sat 08 Dec, 2007 23:27

did you add any water in pump basket before turning on pump?
take your hose & run water in pipe going back to skimmer also which will help prime pump.

if you have multiport valve make sure it's in proper position
Marc

Priming... air flow

Postby Marc » Mon 14 Jan, 2008 05:17

If there is a place to let air out, like on the top of the tank, that may need to be done as well. Mine can be dry and pull wanter through but I let a little air leak out the top until some water hits that point, then shut it.
Johno

priming problems

Postby Johno » Fri 24 Oct, 2008 04:53

I have the same problem. I just replaced the mechanical seal on my pump but cannot get it to prime. Have tried hosing water thru pipe but to no avail...the pump just will not prime. Any further suggestions?

Re: priming problems

Postby Guest » Sat 06 Dec, 2008 00:26

Johno wrote:I have the same problem. I just replaced the mechanical seal on my pump but cannot get it to prime. Have tried hosing water thru pipe but to no avail...the pump just will not prime. Any further suggestions?

What kind of pumpm do you have? The obvious thing is that the lid is not getting sealed properly. Check the lid oring and the lid itself to check for cracks. Make sure the pot is filled with water before trying to start and that your multiport vavle is in filter position. Also make sure that the valves coming from the pool are open.

You say you have just replaced the seal? Did you do it or did a service tech? There is an o-ring or gasket (depending on model) that goes on the end of the diffuser to seal where it meets the hair and lint pot. If this is left off (or if the diffuser itself is left off) the pump will not prime.
rob the builder

pool

Postby rob the builder » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 21:43

maby when you put the seal on you tighten the impellor to tight i find alot of cases that can be the problem .... just hand tight not all super human power tight,

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”