Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
juno1996
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Latest update - August 1, 2008

Postby juno1996 » Thu 31 Jul, 2008 20:43

It's been awhile and realized I haven't provided an update recently.

Believe or not, BHP still has some punchlist items to go. They are seeking a code variance with the State of Indiana over the diving board placement (BHP says it's fine, the Town says the end isn't extending out far enough). In the meantime, the diving board has been laying off to the side...3 or 4 months now.

BHP ordered replacement fence parts for our fence (the guys that moved the fence didn't keep track of the parts). The parts arrived over a week ago. I called the office again this afternoon to see when they'll be re-attaching the fence hardware but I didn't receive a call yet.

We signed our contract with BHP of Indianapolis on September 6, 2007. In some strange way I feel like I'll be lucky if we have our project done within a year.

juno1996
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby juno1996 » Sun 24 Aug, 2008 09:40

We're approaching the 1 year anniversary of the contract signing...the diving board was installed in the original positon after BHP applied and received a code variance.

The open items for BHP to still address are:

1) Complete the fence relocation.
2) Replace broken tiles (this will be done once the pool is closed for the season).
gregg

BHP

Postby gregg » Sun 24 Aug, 2008 17:59

Before we bought a pool I did some research on the web and time after time builders like BHP and Anthony Sylvan would show up as nightmare builders.
I chose to use small family owned type builders and settled on a one man show whos business was 90% referrals. The guy had us swimming in less than 3 weeks from digging the hole. He was digging the hole the day after the bank issued the first check. There was no punch list or issues. Cant understand why people go with these big firms when there is so much negative customer feedback. Are there no small pool builders in your area?
juno1996
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby juno1996 » Mon 25 Aug, 2008 10:39

With any large construction project, it's always a good idea to do some research.

Prior to signing, I did some research on Google and found numerous complaints. When raising my discovery w/ our sales guy, he explained they do hundreds of pools each year and they had horrible weather in the prior year - so "naturally" there'd be a handful of complaints.

My BIG MISTAKE was not speaking with former LOCAL customers and checking Angie's List (the online reference site) or the BBB. (BHP of Indianapolis gets "taken out to the wood shop" on those sites.)

Only w/ those sources would I have discovered their notoriously horrible customer service and construction issues. There are some BITTER former customers and, unfortunately for me, I understand why.
juno1996
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Update

Postby juno1996 » Mon 02 Feb, 2009 20:21

It's been about 4 months since the final punchlist items were completed (the last one being the replacement of cracked tiles after the pool was drained).

In conclusion, BHP is the worse company/service/contractor I've EVER dealt with. If you read this post and still hire them, YOU ARE A FOOL!

I spoke with Denise Rutherford WHEN SHE CALLED AND SAID SHE'D SEND US AN ITEM FROM THEIR POOL CATALOG IF I'D PUT A MORE POSITIVE SPIN ON THIS FORUM. THAT, FRIENDS, IS THE TYPE OF OUTFIT BHP of INDIANAPOLIS IS!!
lonestar
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby lonestar » Tue 03 Feb, 2009 11:10

My limited experience is 99% of builders are waiting on your payment so they can finish 3 other pools theyve been giving the run around on. And 99% subcontract everything.

So if you understand pools at all and have the money you can build it yourself and hire the guys yourself. Ive seen people do lots of stupid things doing this of course but ive seen just as many mistakes in pools from custom builders.
One2Love

Re: BHP

Postby One2Love » Thu 05 Feb, 2009 17:24

gregg wrote:Before we bought a pool I did some research on the web and time after time builders like BHP and Anthony Sylvan would show up as nightmare builders.
I chose to use small family owned type builders and settled on a one man show whos business was 90% referrals. The guy had us swimming in less than 3 weeks from digging the hole. He was digging the hole the day after the bank issued the first check. There was no punch list or issues. Cant understand why people go with these big firms when there is so much negative customer feedback. Are there no small pool builders in your area?

I totally agree. I had my pool built by Natural Pools. They are a smaller pool builder owned by a husband and wife. They've been in business over 20 years and have tons of referrals. Their pools are just breathtaking! I would strongly recommend them to anyone. Currently they are based out of their basement. If you are in the area you should definitely check them out.

Blue Haven Pools of Indianapolis: Building Our Pool

Postby Guest » Mon 16 Mar, 2009 05:30

Hey Juno

How about some spring pictures of the new pool. You suffered enough, now it's time to gloat. :lol:
reo4ua
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18x30 gunite

Postby reo4ua » Wed 15 Apr, 2009 17:05

I used BHP here on the coast and man, what a mistake.
Disapointed Customer

Postby Disapointed Customer » Fri 17 Apr, 2009 19:44

These guys are absolutely the worst outfit in town! They are late, budget over-runs and shoddy work. I am not sure I would stop to pee on them if they were on fire!
MCGREW
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15,000 gallon pool with 500 gallon spa. Construction began 7 months ago, Salt Water Pool, Pentair DE filter, suntouch program

Postby MCGREW » Fri 17 Apr, 2009 22:06

Sorry to hear of your experience with BHP. We started with them in July, canceled our contract and went with a local builder. Seven months later WE are still trying to figure out why certain things don't work, had the spa replastered three times, etc. and we live in Texas. Hope you get to enjoy your new pool.
picasamayte

Postby picasamayte » Wed 29 Apr, 2009 09:52

I built a pool with Blue Haven TN. I have problems from the beginning.
They started building on June 07 and finish at the end of November 07. The have to redo the stamped concrete around the pool because the first time was not made right.(after my husband and I discussed and handled the problem directly with the subcontractor)
Then, we noticed that we were loosing water and finally we found a crack on the shell, emptied the pool and fixed it (after several days of discussion) but we always had problems with the pump making terrible noises that even the neighbors complaint about it. It looses pressure all the time. The changed the Hayward motor and replaced (I found today that they replaced it with something else so Hayward do not cover their warranty). They also installed the ozonator on the wrong place making the filter filling with air. We still have a lot of problems...to many to describe. Now the office in Knoxville is close and Blue Haven National do not want to be responsible for the problem.
I call the 1-800 customer service and Ms. Ellen which number is 972-316-8662 provided me with the worst customer service I have to deal in my life, treat it me like crap. Said that it is not their problem, she does not want me to call her anymore or give me any number or names or other people in Blue Haven that can help me to solve all this problems. I spent $70,000 on my pool to be treated poorly and they washed their hands simple like that. Well, I built my pool with them base on their #1 ranking, their name and their reputation (that's what I thought them). I also thought that I will be back up with a national company in a case like this. What a mistake!!. PLEASE DO NOT BUILD A POOL WITH THIS PEOPLE. Take my word for it!! BLUE HAVEN IS THE BIGGEST FRAUD.

There also a class action against Blue Haven: Blue Haven's representations that the consumer was contracting with an experienced, reputable, dependable and long-standing company were false and/or misleading. The complaint further alleges that Blue Haven licenses its brand name to pool contractors without requiring them to construct pools to minimum standards.
juno1996
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

The Final Straw....

Postby juno1996 » Sun 24 May, 2009 10:23

With Summer approaching, I turned on the water valve to our in-ground irrigation system to discover that when BHP's crew relocated my fence last September (after the irrigation had been shut off for the winter) they ended up cutting through main irrigation line. Instead of knocking on our door and telling us what happened, the crew simply removed the broken piece (which was not in the hole, dug the rest of the hole for the fence post, and filled it in with concrete. Had I known it happened, I would have understood that it was simply an unfortunate accident and repaired it myself - I would have taken care of installing the post as well. But because they didn't say a word, it became a much, much bigger project (taking up part of a walkway, removing a shrub, etc.)

Oh, and in the last month, I've spent $605 on our 11-month old Coverstar pool cover when one of the ropes broke (the cover is a nice idea but incredibly expensive to maintain) , our coping has lifted up near the shallow end and 2 tile have fallen off. There's not much else to say at this point.

It's no surprise they are raked through the coals on http://www.Angieslist.com
juno1996
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby juno1996 » Fri 28 Aug, 2009 19:01

The problems with our pool have gotten worse...much worse. We'll be filing a lawsuit against Blue Haven Pools in Boone County soon. They are failing to honor the 2-year warranty on my pool's coping and tile.

Here's a recent picture of our Blue Haven Pool after being opened for a year...

http://cid-af9adea4a06b12db.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/2009%20Pool/img%7C_1106.jpg

Now that I've seen their work quality, I wouldn't trust BHP to build me a bird bath. If you are even remotely considering a pool from Blue Haven of Indianapolis, please contact me so I can help you with your decision.

Stay tuned.
PO BHP owner

Postby PO BHP owner » Thu 25 Feb, 2010 16:14

Wow! Your whole story sounds so familiar. We had BHP on Indianapolis put in a fiberglass pool for us in 2003 and the problems have NOT stopped. The problems started with the final grade taking 3 weeks to our sliding glass door being ripped from our house during the 1st winter because the concrete was poured incorrectly (J&S Concrete and Scott Brown are a joke!). Currently the entire back patio (that's right J&S) is pulling the entire back side off of our home.

Did I mention that the pool is also sitting crooked? We have pictures from the beginning to the current. Let me know if you are interested.

We currently have a law suite filed against BHP. They have stalled us for the last 3 years in court. If you are interested maybe we can join forces?? I am sick to death of these irresponsible contractors! The lovely Mike and Denise Rutherford deserve to lose everything they own so they would begin to feel what their customers have felt!

If you are having a pool put in go with the small local guy with great references. If you need concrete DO NOT call J&S Concrete. They are the idiots that poured a 10' x 20' patio using 10 YARDS of concrete and didn't bother to pour footers! Hmmmm.... Need to know what does to a house I have pictures! Better yet let us know if you are in Hendricks County anytime and you can see for yourself what a $30,0000 mistake looks like!

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”