Backwashing too frequently

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
sparkwatercleaner
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Backwashing too frequently

Postby sparkwatercleaner » Wed 16 Jan, 2008 12:50

What happens with my sand filter if I backwash too frequent? Why will the sand last less if I backwash too often?

iggy
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Re: Backwashing too frequently

Postby iggy » Wed 16 Jan, 2008 18:34

sparkwatercleaner wrote:What happens with my sand filter if I backwash too frequent? Why will the sand last less if I backwash too often?

All you will be doing is spending more time backwashing instead of enjoying the pool. Nothing will happen other than you will have used much more water and wasted time. Backwash when your pressure shows that you have a lot of junk in it.

My 2 cents
Inground Salt pool, 12,000 gal
Jandy CL460 filter and 1 1/2hp sleath pump
Goldline Clorine Generator
Paramount infloor cleaning system
Hayward Cool Logic 2.5 LED Light with 12 program settings
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Thu 17 Jan, 2008 13:53

What happens with my sand filter if I backwash too frequent? Why will the sand last less if I backwash too often?

Backwashing a filter too frequently will keep the sand so free of dirt buildup that it will not have the ability to remove the smaller particles of dirt and they will simply pass through sometimes causing cloudiness in water.
The irregular shape of sand grains, while playing an important role in how a sand filter works, can actually be responsible for loss in filtering efficiency over time. While the irregular shape allows the sand grains to fit together tightly and thus help trap fine particles of dirt, it can also slowly become imbedded with the buildup of oils, grease and mineral matter removed from the pool water. In time, this will actually cause the grains to lose their irregular shape and begin to form smooth surfaces, which do not filter as well.
Often sand in the smoothed condition is considered old and in need of replacement.
This is why some people will use a filter one size bigger so their filter does not have to work as hard and catches more debris, like people whos pools may get lots of dirt/debris in it, which would help this problem.
The one thing I have seen over the years is each pool will function different that have the same equipment but different situations.
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Fri 18 Jan, 2008 14:10

To sparkwatercleaner,

just so there is no missunderstanding of any kind I never ment for you to think you need to replace your filter. Like I had mentioned in other post the filter could be dirty with debris/mud ball problem which would cause filter to slow down sooner than normal. The reason I brought up filter size is that you stated it was pretty new & normally if pool does not get alot of debris this could also be a factor.
I noticed you said something about the gauge not moving, it could be bad & new ones are not alot to replace, if it is ok when trying new one you can return normally.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”