Still have Brown "Sand" stains on the bottom!

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
nitz369
I'm new here
I'm new here

Still have Brown "Sand" stains on the bottom!

Postby nitz369 » Sat 26 Jan, 2008 16:22

I am a new pool owner and have been readong this forum for a couple months now. I have been going to the local pool store with my water and they also teach me a lot about how to maintain chemistry and such. The one thing that bothers me is the brown stains all over the bottom of the pool. It looks like sand but it isn't. In the shallow area i can feel it and it is smooth like the rest of the plaster.

I have tried the chlorine tablet idea to see if it was organic.
I have tried the Calcium tablets to see if it is metal.

The pool store says there is nothing I can do about it, they say my water is beautiful and fresh.

Any suggestions on something else to try? Brushing does no good. I also asked the pool store about dropping pH and brushing, they said water would turn brown and be very hard to balance again.

Anything?

Poolz

Brown stains

Postby Poolz » Tue 05 Feb, 2008 19:09

I have tried the chlorine tablet idea to see if it was organic.
I have tried the Calcium tablets to see if it is metal.

Have you tried dry acid in a sock?

What were the results?
ARKANSAS GUY

BROWN STAINS IN POOL

Postby ARKANSAS GUY » Mon 07 Apr, 2008 20:42

I TOO HAVE HAD THE SAME EXPERIENCE W/ BROWN STAINS IN MY POOL. MY LINER & STEPS TURN A TANNISH BROWN COLOR. WATER TESTING RESULTS SAY MY WATER IS FINE. THE POOL TESTER TOLD ME IT COULD BE FROM OAK TREES, I HAVE SEVERAL 150 YEAR OLD OAKS AROUND MY POOL.

I HAVE FOUND A SOLUTION THAT WORKS FOR ME(I TOLD THE POOL WATER TESTER ABOUT THIS AND HE SAID IF IT WORKS GO FOR IT).

HERE IT IS: GET SOME 'WHINK IRON AND RUST REMOVER'(I FIND IT GROCERY OR HARDWARE STORES) IT COMES IN 1-2 LB BOTTLES IN A GRANULAR FORM. PUT YOUR PUMP ON RECIRC. AND POUR ONE BOTTLE IN YOUR SKIMMER AND LET IT DISPERSE IN YOUR POOL. WITHIN A HOUR MY 'BROWN" IS GONE FOR ABOUT 2 WEEKS, THEN I HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN.
muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Wed 09 Apr, 2008 07:12

Any chance of getting a picture posted? How old is the pool itself? Is it plaster or vinyl? If its really old then there is a chance that the brown spots you are seeing is the old gunite shell under the plaster. Secondly, it could be rust from the underlying rebar in the gunite.

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”