closing an inground pool

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
c spooner

closing an inground pool

Postby c spooner » Mon 28 Jan, 2008 10:05

My mother is 83 years young. her pool is getting to be too much work for her and she doesn't use it anymore now that the grandchildren are all grown up.

We do not want to fill it in for home resale purposes...Is there any way to close it down - so that the pumps do not get damaged(by lack of running) and also so there is no damage to the pool.

Please advise. She is constantly checking to make sure all is running well..and it is wearing her out. By the way, she lives in Alabama

Thanks Claudia

Ickle
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Ickle » Thu 31 Jan, 2008 12:05

Im in the UK, so weather situation may effect more,
I have closed many pools in my time as a pool engineer. I have beeen luvky enough to have a pool that is out of sight etc, and so using a winter debris cover over the pool, after draining it to about 12inches below skimmers. I have removed the pumps and placed them in the house so they can keep warm dry and clean, the seals may need changing wen it time to start the systems again but that cheaper than a new pump. The water I have always left, although you could use algecides etc but depends on time you are looking at it being left closed down.

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”