New pool owner need advice

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Vincent
I'm new here
I'm new here

New pool owner need advice

Postby Vincent » Wed 30 Jan, 2008 20:36

I had this brand new pool which I build from info from the net. Where I live, there's no proper pool serviceman. They doesn't even know what's Cyanuric Acid. My pool is 30,000 lit capacity semi in ground. Got a salt chlorinator meant for 80,000 lit pool because my friend does'nt want me to put too much load on it as it's hard for me to get it repaired if it breaks down. My pool is under shed and my pump and filter can pump the 30,000 lit in under 3 hour. Very low bather load (2 man hour a day).
My question is, how long do I need to run the pump? I tried running it 3 hrs at 90% chlorine production and the water remain clear. I tried running it 2 1/5 hr at 100% but after a swim, my body smell chlorine. Only need to vacuum once in 3 weeks (no leaves and dust).
Do I need cyanuric acid as stabilizer as the water still receive natural sunlight thouh it only get direct sunlight towards late afternoon.

all4him
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby all4him » Fri 01 Feb, 2008 13:58

Where do you live?

A lot depends on you geographical location and evaporation rate.

You only need to run your generator at what ever setting will maintain proper chlorine levels. If you are in the south you will need to run your pump about 10-12 hours per day.
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Fri 01 Feb, 2008 15:08

it's a good thing to have your CYA for salt water pool between 60-80ppm
This should allow you to run pool at a lower output like 30-40% which in turn makes generator work less & last longer. When generators are set at 90-100% they will need to be replaced sooner & are alot of money.
When running your pool depending on weather you should have all pool water get turned-over/filtered one time.

Postby Guest » Fri 01 Feb, 2008 19:00

Thanks guys, I really need your advice.

Oh, I live in Malaysia on the Borneo Island. Very humid with temp in the range of 30 - 33 C. After running for 3 hrs on 90% output, I get 1 for Cl but by the end of the end of the next day before my chlorinator starts, the Cl had drop to 0.2. My pool only receive direct sunlight towards late after for an hour or so and cover less than a quarter of my pool.

So if my pump system can pump the entire pool water in under 3 hrs, does that mean if I run it for 3 hrs should be sufficient? I first tried running my pool at 50% for 2 hrs and it turn green after a week. Superchlor it at 100% for 24 hrs and it turn clear again. This was when I first start my pool last christmas. My pool is concrete/tiled of the balancing type with auto water leveling. My water output is via 3 holes (like mail box hole) and dropping about 60cm before hitting pool water (like waterfall). Does this affect the efficiency of the chlorinator?

So far I haven't put in anything else and I only can get a 4 in 1 test kit (the most comprehensive test kit available in the region including Singapore that I can find). Ph 7.6, TA 40. Thinking of adding in some sodium bicarbonate but can only find one from our local scientific lab supplier and it is stated "laboratory use only". Wonder if it is suitable for pool use. Filled my pool with tap water (suitable for consumption without boiling). My entire pool consist of only ceramic tile complete with grouting, plastic/pvc/upvc. No metal parts whatsoever except what's in the pump (Waterco Aquamite).

Thanks again ....
all4him
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby all4him » Tue 05 Feb, 2008 14:46

I would recommned running it 8-10 in the heat of the day and 2-3 at night.
Vincent
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Vincent » Thu 07 Feb, 2008 04:08

Thanks guys...

Can anybody out there advice on which company provide international shipping for pool chemicals and test kits?

Vincent.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Thu 07 Feb, 2008 07:49

Contact tftestkits(dot)com and see if they can help you. They sell an outstanding TF100 test kit that is based on the Taylor K-2006. They do not sell chemicals, however, so you'll have to find another source for that.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”