new pool resurface stained brown

Tile, mosaic, marbelite, Marcite, Marblesheen,
fiberglass, plaster, shotcrete, paint, epoxy coatings.
Use, care and repair of the various surfaces.

new pool resurface stained brown

Postby Guest » Sat 02 Feb, 2008 23:26

I have recently had a pool resurfaced with Krystalcrete quartz finsh. I have a well system in sw Florida. The day after pool being filled the resurface co. put in Jacks blue along with clorine, acid. The pool turned real dark brown (very very dark brown). It has been about 5 days now and pool water is pretty clean right now but there is a great deal of brown stains on the surface now. It doesn't seem to brush off.

I haven't asked the resurface co. yet but wanted to put the question out here also. Is this going to be problem or is this normal. If the resurface co says it is nothing to worry about are they right.

thanks

Postby Guest » Fri 08 Feb, 2008 13:57

chlorine should never be added at the same time as acid to avoid metal fall out. In fact, chlorine should not be added to a fresh pool until the water is balanced within saturation index limits. Your pool guy is a knucklehead, find a new one.
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Fri 08 Feb, 2008 18:21

I have recently had a pool resurfaced with Krystalcrete quartz finsh. I have a well system in sw Florida. The day after pool being filled the resurface co. put in Jacks blue along with clorine, acid. The pool turned real dark brown (very very dark brown). It has been about 5 days now and pool water is pretty clean right now but there is a great deal of brown stains on the surface now. It doesn't seem to brush off.

I haven't asked the resurface co. yet but wanted to put the question out here also. Is this going to be problem or is this normal. If the resurface co says it is nothing to worry about are they right.

This is not normal to add chlorine the day after a pool is filled & the problem you are having is the reason why. They should have only added metal sequestering agent (jacks blue) & acid.

Sense you say the resurfacing co. added the chlorine you need to contact them about this problem.

Postby Guest » Sat 09 Feb, 2008 17:07

I am not sure if they added clorine I assumed they did. They have been treating it with Jacks all week and most of the stains are gone. That stuff is really good stuff. It was iron in the water here that was causing the staining. The lady sounded like it shouldn't have turned so dark dark brown and she wasn't sure why it happened. At least it is coming up.
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Sat 09 Feb, 2008 17:46

trust me the PB knows what happened that chlorine was added & caused this reaction to new plaster pool.

I suggest that you use a metal sequestering agent like Jack's as a preventative so you have no future brown staining.

metal sequestering agents work good but you need to keep adding it so metals stay gone or will return.
crazyannie
I'm new here
I'm new here

what???

Postby crazyannie » Sat 15 Mar, 2008 19:44

Why would a pool tech put in liquid chlorine on a new start up pool?
Listen to what everyone is saying here and I might add 1/2 quart of pink for non salt pools and 1/2 quart of purple for salt pools. Take regular samples to a pool store and ask them about your TDDS and what kind of metals are in your water.
I have never added liquid until after the first week.
Pools can be stabalized with tabs and release enough residual chlorine that they do not need chlorine even if its really hot. Stabalizer should be added after the pool is up and running. This will create a control so that your chemicals do not bounce all over the place.
And when chlorine is added on a new surface it shouldnt be more than 2 gallons of liquid.
That chlorine reading should not be any higher than a 3 the first year.

Return to “Pool Surface Discussions”