Algae between cover and solar pad

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
Carllieb

Algae between cover and solar pad

Postby Carllieb » Mon 04 Feb, 2008 11:04

My pool is winterized, the pool water is clear and fine but the little bit of water between the Trampoline savety cover and the solar cover is very green.

My new Yellow Lab pup got on the cover this weekend and I had a Green Lab.

I checked and the water under the solar cover is fine.

So will spraying with algaecide on a hose end sprayer work?

Should I take off the solar cover during winter covered months?

I need it to warm the pool for early use, as soon as the Pecan trees finish dropping drop their tassles I will open it.

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Wed 06 Feb, 2008 12:04

If you make sure that the water where the algae is will not get into the pool, then you can use an algaecide that contains copper to kill it and keep it away. In the future to prevent the algae from forming and if the water could get into the pool, then use PolyQuat 60 algaecide. I just want to avoid getting too much copper algaecide into the main pool water as copper can cause problems of its own. To kill the algae without using a copper algaecide, you can use a dilute chlorine solution (1/4 teaspoon of Dichlor per 5 gallons), but will need to keep adding more of this solution as the algae gets killed and when the chlorine no longer gets used up, then add PolyQuat 60 algaecide.

Richard

Postby Guest » Mon 18 Feb, 2008 12:44

Thank you great information.

Will make sure to watch the copper addition in the future. Used the Algicide I had and it worked fine, no more green dog.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”