Stuck Pump Lid

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
osmosis
I'm new here
I'm new here

Stuck Pump Lid

Postby osmosis » Thu 07 Feb, 2008 06:35

Hi

I need to clean my pump basket, but I just can't seem to open the lid. I have tried brute force and it won't budge. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks.

Poolz

Pump lid

Postby Poolz » Wed 20 Feb, 2008 03:47

How does the lid attach?

Does it screw on, clamp, or what?
Stephan

Suck pool pump basket lid

Postby Stephan » Sat 05 Apr, 2008 18:57

I have the same problem mine screws on. I have drained the pressure and still cant get it off even with a tool to allow leverage.
DBServices
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby DBServices » Tue 08 Apr, 2008 14:17

Get a bigger tool. Once you get it off replace and lube the oring.
Dave
The Pool Guy
commercialpools at bellsouth.n e t
turbomango
I'm new here
I'm new here

reL Stuck Pump Lid

Postby turbomango » Sun 13 Apr, 2008 07:05

I don't know if it's the wrong approach, but I use a rubber mallot and tap lightly until it losens. I've seen the pool man use the long handles of a wrench or similar tool like a vice to grasp and leverage a turn.

The rubber mallot I use concerns me because of the vibrations it causes the pipes.

I have the tightening problem as well. I will post a new thread on this for the pros to hopefully respond to.
profwomyn

Stuck Pump Lid

Postby profwomyn » Fri 24 Apr, 2009 15:19

I think the tool you're looking for is called Pool Pump Lid Wrench. The specific wrench depends pon the lid. It's had plastic and in my case, two prongs fit perfectly in the lid and I pull/push/turn the extended handle.
    Iain1028

Stuck Pump Lid

Postby Iain1028 » Sun 07 Jun, 2009 20:59

My big black wrench for my screw on pool pump lid just broke, I used a rubber mallet against its handle because even though I don't tighten it too much it is always hell to un-tighten.

I can't find this thing anywhere. It is a AO smith pool pump and it came with the motor. I am in trouble if I can't find one esp with the monsoon coming up.

Thank you

If you know where:

Iain1028@cox.net
    Denali
    Swimming Pool Superstar
    Swimming Pool Superstar

Stuck Pump Lid

Postby Denali » Mon 08 Jun, 2009 00:01

Iain1028 wrote:My big black wrench for my screw on pool pump lid just broke, I used a rubber mallet against its handle because even though I don't tighten it too much it is always hell to un-tighten.

I can't find this thing anywhere. It is a AO smith pool pump and it came with the motor. I am in trouble if I can't find one esp with the monsoon coming up.

Thank you

If you know where:

Iain1028@cox.net

Is this the kind you're looking for http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Pool-Pump-Lid-Open-Removal-Tool-110-ie-Starite-Pump
    Jesus Lives

Stuck Pump Lid

Postby Jesus Lives » Sat 15 Oct, 2011 10:00

Follow this link. http://www.epoolshop.com/lidremovaltool.aspx , The tool I bought from this site is metal and it worked for me. Plus you might want to try spraying some WD40 in/on between the seem were the lid meets the pump. Let it set for about 24hrs before you try to remove the lid. The WD40 will penatrate into the seem and lubericate the threads thus causing it to turn easier.This seems to have worked perfect for my stuck lid problem. Good Luck!
    Jesus Lives

Stuck Pump Lid

Postby Jesus Lives » Sat 15 Oct, 2011 10:12

Correcting a spelling error on last reply, The word is seam not seem. Sorry I did not want to confuse anyone.
    mas985
    Swimming Pool Pro
    Swimming Pool Pro

Stuck Pump Lid

Postby mas985 » Sat 15 Oct, 2011 12:09

If it is a twist lock type of pump lid, try to loosen the lid while the pump is running. The suction helps to reduce the friction on the lip clamp and can sometimes make it easier to turn.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
    18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater
    Jack trip

Stuck Pump Lid

Postby Jack trip » Sat 03 Nov, 2012 17:13

What I did was after I loosened the top wing thing, I turned the pump on. I got wet, but the top popped. When it pops turn pump off and your in business.
    Comeinhandy

Stuck Pump Lid

Postby Comeinhandy » Wed 16 Apr, 2014 05:13

It depends on the type of top you have but what you need is a tool with a long handle for a lot if leverage. Every year I have problems with the top of my choline dispenser and the top of my sand filter. I recently made a tool for these, shown in my video on youtube (comeinhandynow channel) here:

http://youtu.be/rvPWDSTA2Qo

jon • 7 seconds
    Comment 0 0
    John L
    I'm new here
    I'm new here
    My Pool: above ground

Re: Stuck Pump Lid

Postby John L » Thu 04 Jun, 2020 16:04

I know this post is old, but felt it was important to share my solution to release a stuck pool pump lid. I own a Hayward Powerflo Matrix pump that was stuck. I could not release it to remove all the debris in the basket, which made my return pressure weak. So after reading many, many posts on solutions, here's the simplest thing you can do. HEAT! Get your self a blow dryer or hot water. Either or will work, I did both, Dryer around the lid, underneath it. Poured hot water over the lid getting it into the grooves. With a rubber mallet, tap around the lid in the direction to open it, counterclockwise. If that doesn't work. We need to release the pressure inside the pump by unfastening the skimmer hose and letting the water within the pump drain out. But before you do this, please add stopper plugs in the skimmer and return jet, this will prevent water everywhere. Now the lid should be able to turn and come off. Remember heat expands plastic, this will help. Hope this works, it did for me. Don't forget to clean out the basket and prime it, by adding water to the pump basket area. Add lubricant to the grooves of the lid and close. Hope this works.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”