Stuck Pump Lid

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Stuck Pump Lid

Postby mas985 » Sat 15 Oct, 2011 12:09

If it is a twist lock type of pump lid, try to loosen the lid while the pump is running. The suction helps to reduce the friction on the lip clamp and can sometimes make it easier to turn.

Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater
Jack trip

Stuck Pump Lid

Postby Jack trip » Sat 03 Nov, 2012 17:13

What I did was after I loosened the top wing thing, I turned the pump on. I got wet, but the top popped. When it pops turn pump off and your in business.
Comeinhandy

Stuck Pump Lid

Postby Comeinhandy » Wed 16 Apr, 2014 05:13

It depends on the type of top you have but what you need is a tool with a long handle for a lot if leverage. Every year I have problems with the top of my choline dispenser and the top of my sand filter. I recently made a tool for these, shown in my video on youtube (comeinhandynow channel) here:

http://youtu.be/rvPWDSTA2Qo

jon • 7 seconds
Comment 0 0
John L
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: above ground

Re: Stuck Pump Lid

Postby John L » Thu 04 Jun, 2020 16:04

I know this post is old, but felt it was important to share my solution to release a stuck pool pump lid. I own a Hayward Powerflo Matrix pump that was stuck. I could not release it to remove all the debris in the basket, which made my return pressure weak. So after reading many, many posts on solutions, here's the simplest thing you can do. HEAT! Get your self a blow dryer or hot water. Either or will work, I did both, Dryer around the lid, underneath it. Poured hot water over the lid getting it into the grooves. With a rubber mallet, tap around the lid in the direction to open it, counterclockwise. If that doesn't work. We need to release the pressure inside the pump by unfastening the skimmer hose and letting the water within the pump drain out. But before you do this, please add stopper plugs in the skimmer and return jet, this will prevent water everywhere. Now the lid should be able to turn and come off. Remember heat expands plastic, this will help. Hope this works, it did for me. Don't forget to clean out the basket and prime it, by adding water to the pump basket area. Add lubricant to the grooves of the lid and close. Hope this works.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”