Boster pump for sweep not pushing water to sweep?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
rwr

Boster pump for sweep not pushing water to sweep?

Postby rwr » Thu 20 Mar, 2008 20:35

I have a booster pump that runs my sweep off the filter pump. I took the pump off its stand and there was no water. Turned on booster to see if it really worked, it spun. Turned on filter pump and water came into boster pump stand. I can't understand why the sweep is not getting water. I cleaned the filter and put in new de. Cleaned the trap in the filter pump and in the skimmer in the pool. Also cleaned the trap for the spa. Everything primed and is running good except the sweep. Please help!

muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Fri 21 Mar, 2008 16:50

What kind of sweep is it? If it is a polaris, remove the fitting that attaches the hose to the wall. Turn on filter pump. Feel for water flowing from the hole. Then turn on the booster pump. You should notice a much higher water flow coming from the same hole. Check inside the fitting you removed from the wall. There should be a thin screen that catches debris. Make sure this is clean. For future reference you shouldnt run your booster pump without the main pool pump being on. You can burn up the seal on your booster pump and ruin the motors bearings.

Postby Guest » Mon 24 Mar, 2008 18:41

It is a polaris. I did check the connection from the wall of the pool there is no water flowing out of the pipe. I did clean the little trap inside the presure relief valve.
Any ideas why the booster will not suck the water or the filter pump will not pump the water to the booster pump?
muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Wed 26 Mar, 2008 17:46

First, are you sure that the line you are checking for water flow is actually the line connected to the booster pump? Quite often all the returns are the same size with a female fitting that a polaris wall fitting can screw into. I've seen this happen before. Also, check the plumbing connection going to and from the polaris booster pump. The front end hose should be connected to your return line at the equipment area while the hose coming out of the top should be connected to its own dedicated line. Also check any valves and make sure these are not closed which would restrict flow to the booster pump. When you say there is no flow- do you mean no flow at all even when the main pool pump is on? If this is so it could be a valve closed or a clog. Even with the booster pump off there should still be some flow. Also check to make sure there are no kinks in the hoses running from the booster pump to your pool plumbing.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”