QUIET pool pumps?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
mds54

QUIET pool pumps?

Postby mds54 » Wed 11 May, 2005 16:04

Simply put: What is considered to be the QUIETEST operating
in-ground pool pump on the market? I'd prefer 1+1/2hp
and price is not an issue. TIA!

Pool Pumps

Pool pump help

Postby Pool Pumps » Sun 15 Jan, 2006 05:19

Whichever pump you choose, the pump will increase is noise level over time. Have you considered a "soundproof" housing for the pump?

It is quite simple to build an enclosure or soundproof the existing one to cut out the noise that is disturbing you.
LL

Postby LL » Sun 28 May, 2006 10:05

My pump last year was VERY loud. It sounded like a blow dryer on high setting. I was told that the bearings were bad and that I should get a new pump (more cost effective as opposed to paying someone to take it apart and putting in new bearings). I bought a new pump- the same kind as the one I had- and it is whisper quiet. I can hear my neighbors AC unit over my pool pump.
explore42

Re: Pool pump help - Pump enclosure?

Postby explore42 » Sat 03 Jun, 2006 20:17

I have looked all over the web for recommendations on how to build a vented soundproof housing for my pump and havent found a thing. If you have some suggestions please share them - I would love to cut down the noise.

Pool Pumps wrote:Whichever pump you choose, the pump will increase is noise level over time. Have you considered a "soundproof" housing for the pump?

It is quite simple to build an enclosure or soundproof the existing one to cut out the noise that is disturbing you.

Re: QUIET pool pumps?

Postby guest » Sat 03 Nov, 2007 13:10

I have a Pentair Whisper Flo that is sold as being of a design that is quiet. Even brand new, it is not by any means quiet. I am surprised that some manufacturer hasn't come out with a model that operates at lower RPMs or has soundproofing built into the product! I would pay double or even more for a truly quiet product.

Anyone know of a truly quiet pump?

Postby Guest » Wed 21 Nov, 2007 21:07

Hello,

I have a new product (patent pending) that is the solution to your noise problem. It will reduce noise by 75-90%

I can be contacted at lteisseyre(at)premierinnov(dot)com and I will email you a brochure.

Regards,

LGT
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Fri 23 Nov, 2007 14:51

getting the correct size pump for your pool system helps, you need to look at the number of return lines you have along with pipe size to have good hydraulics for your pool circulation or pump will be loud & sometimes cavitate.
Bigger is not better as the new pumps are much stronger than the old ones so down sizing normally happens which also helps with electrical bill.

Postby Guest » Sun 30 Dec, 2007 10:37

guest wrote:I have a Pentair Whisper Flo that is sold as being of a design that is quiet. Even brand new, it is not by any means quiet. I am surprised that some manufacturer hasn't come out with a model that operates at lower RPMs or has soundproofing built into the product! I would pay double or even more for a truly quiet product.

Anyone know of a truly quiet pump?
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sun 30 Dec, 2007 14:29

I have a Pentair IntelliFlow variable-speed pump and when it is at a low-speed for general circulation at around 26 GPM, 1500 RPM, 275 Watts, then it is very, very quiet -- I've measured it at 60 dB in the pump shed and around 65 dB about 1 foot from the pump (normal outdoor "quiet" is around 50 dB). At 48 GPM, 2350 RPM, 865 Watts, it's around 65 dB in the pump shed and 70 dB 1 foot from the pump. When I have the solar on and the pump is around 48 GPM, 3000 RPM, 1500 Watts, then it is noisier and perhaps just a little quieter than my older 1 HP Jandy HHP pump. I don't have the solar hooked up now so can't measure it's noise, but would guess it's 5 dB louder than 48 GPM without solar and 10 dB louder than the low 1500 RPM speed -- a 10 dB difference is roughly a perceived doubling/halving in sound volume.

So the biggest factor in noise, by far, is the speed at which the pump is operating though I would say that generally the Pentair IntelliFlo is a relatively quiet pump.

Richard
gman986

new pump

Postby gman986 » Sun 04 Jul, 2010 08:02

LL wrote:My pump last year was VERY loud. It sounded like a blow dryer on high setting. I was told that the bearings were bad and that I should get a new pump (more cost effective as opposed to paying someone to take it apart and putting in new bearings). I bought a new pump- the same kind as the one I had- and it is whisper quiet. I can hear my neighbors AC unit over my pool pump.

Can you tell me which pump you bought as I am in a similar situation?...Thanks,
johnkloosphx

QUIET pool pumps?

Postby johnkloosphx » Wed 29 Sep, 2010 15:45

I just bought a brand new Pentair CCP420 pump / filter combination. It came with a 1.5 "whisperflo" pump. It was much louder than my old unit so I prevailed upon the contractor to swap out the pump with a Pentair 1.5 "Challenger" model. What a huge difference! I don't have any fancy sound measuring devices but I swear the decibles weht down by 40%.

The "Challenger" is the same type of pump I had installed previously. It was made by "American" before Pentair bought them out. It had been installed for 14 years and was still running as quietly as the day I got it.

Bottomline. Pentair's Challenger is very quiet.
wjbeeby

pool sound reduction product

Postby wjbeeby » Tue 12 Jul, 2011 14:20

Pool User wrote:Hello,

I have a new product (patent pending) that is the solution to your noise problem. It will reduce noise by 75-90%

I can be contacted at lteisseyre(at)premierinnov(dot)com and I will email you a brochure.

Regards,

LGT

please send me the info 1415 south renaud grosse pointe michigan 48236 thanks Bill
TSH Tech

QUIET pool pumps?

Postby TSH Tech » Tue 12 Jul, 2011 20:04

Wow? Old post from 2005.

The new variable speed pumps by Hayward and Pentair with the LCD info displays are quiet on low speed. I've personally heard both pumps, programmed down to 600 thru 900 RPM for normal low speed filtering cycle that are just ridiculously quiet. A typical portable blade house-fan is much noisier in contrast.
serena45
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby serena45 » Sat 13 Jan, 2018 01:33

Hello...

I am looking for pool pump for my swimming pool..., but I am confused about it, which pool pump is good...
So, please suggest me some pool pumps name with their quality details...???
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sat 13 Jan, 2018 05:11

Hi Serena, To give you any help we would need some details of your pool and plumbing size, filtration etc.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”