Cannot get water clear

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
Katie

Cannot get water clear

Postby Katie » Wed 26 Apr, 2006 08:37

I have an inground pool about 45,000-50,000 gallons. We opened it 2 weeks ago and it was black and smelled like a swamp. I have had the filter running continuously since then, have dumped gallons of algeacide, about 100 pounds of shock and it is still not clear. It is blue and I did see some results after putting clarifier in as I can finally see the liner in the shallow end. I have been vacuuming up visable aglae which I assume is settling and not growing but am not sure. Pool store not any help. I also cannot get a chlorine reading on my test strips which concerns me. My next step is to use flocculant unless someone has any ideas. Please any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Pool Helper

Algea

Postby Pool Helper » Wed 26 Apr, 2006 15:20

Make sure your pH is 7.2-7.4 then add chlorine shocks daily until you get a chlorine reading >3ppm. The chlorine is what will destroy the algea but can also turn the pool water cloudy or milky (if you use powder/ granules). This usually rights itself within 4-7 days.

Clarifier/ flocculant will help most at the stage when you have constant free chlorine readings.

Keep the pH within the above range at all times to maintain a good level of chlorine activity. At high pH the chlorine is under-active. Shock chlorine, whether powder or liquid, has a high pH and will push the pH levels up with each shock so you will need to add lots of pH reducer all the while.

Re: Cannot get water clear

Postby Guest » Mon 25 Jun, 2007 14:56

Katie wrote:I have an inground pool about 45,000-50,000 gallons. We opened it 2 weeks ago and it was black and smelled like a swamp. I have had the filter running continuously since then, have dumped gallons of algeacide, about 100 pounds of shock and it is still not clear. It is blue and I did see some results after putting clarifier in as I can finally see the liner in the shallow end. I have been vacuuming up visable aglae which I assume is settling and not growing but am not sure. Pool store not any help. I also cannot get a chlorine reading on my test strips which concerns me. My next step is to use flocculant unless someone has any ideas. Please any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
casscar

Cannot get water clear

Postby casscar » Mon 11 Jun, 2012 09:47

Hi everyone,

Last winter i left my swimming pool unattended for the whole winter. Now the water is dark green, I gave it a shock with chlorine and it turned very light green. I opened up and cleaned my DE filter and put DE powder in the skimmer. When i start up the filter the pressure gauge is 10psi after some time (2hours) the psi shows 30. i have been doing this for 2 days now and still the water cant get clear. I backwashed the filter several times but still the water cant get clear. I am thinking of draining the whole pool, clean it and put water in again, the whole 45,000 gallons. I am wasting more money on chemicals and electricity trying to clean my pool than filling it up again. Any help please or suggestions.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”