New owners and cloudy water

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
lagal
I'm new here
I'm new here

New owners and cloudy water

Postby lagal » Sun 30 Mar, 2008 12:23

We are NEW pool owners, pool just put in Feb 08...our water is very cloudy here are my stats at this moment....
ph(end pad) 7.8
ppm free chlorine 10
ppm total alkalinity 120
ppm stablilizer 30-50

This is a 16 x 32 salt water pool...I still have some dirt areas around the pool because we have not completed all the landscaping...also we live in South Louisiana where the pollen is a BIG PROBLEM as I speak...its not as bad today, but the other day you could see the pollen just laid out on top of the water...

Can someone help please...I was so hoping for crystal clear water...

mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Sun 30 Mar, 2008 15:47

We are NEW pool owners, pool just put in Feb 08...our water is very cloudy here are my stats at this moment....
ph(end pad) 7.8
ppm free chlorine 10
ppm total alkalinity 120
ppm stablilizer 30-50

This is a 16 x 32 salt water pool...I still have some dirt areas around the pool because we have not completed all the landscaping...also we live in South Louisiana where the pollen is a BIG PROBLEM as I speak...its not as bad today, but the other day you could see the pollen just laid out on top of the water...

first thing you mention "end of pad" with PH reading which makes me think your using test strips? I suggest buying a better test kit like the
Taylor k-2005 test kit which will be a lot more accurate with chemical readings & comes with good directions on how to use. With your chlorine reading being high it could be bleeching out your PH reading which could be higher if it's as high as it goes on strip & high PH can cause cloudy water.
How long are you running your pool?
You more than likely need to run the pool longer & with this can turn down the dial on your salt generator which will help it last longer. With a chlorine reading of 10ppm it seems to be set high & a lot of companies will state running it real high will shorten generator life span. Also running pool CYA at 80ppm in salt pool will help protect chlorine & keep generator able to run lower.
You never mentioned the type of filter you have?
backwashing/cleaning could also be needed.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”