Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
chuck johnson
I'm new here
I'm new here

pump doesnt prime

Postby chuck johnson » Tue 01 Apr, 2008 15:04

I am having trouble getting my pump to prime, if I take the pump cover off and fill it up with water and switch it on it will try to start but then the water stops coming out of the jets. I dont know where to start to fix this, thanks for any help.

muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

pump doesnt prime

Postby muss08 » Tue 01 Apr, 2008 19:18

Has this ever happened in the past? You could try sticking a drain king in your skimmer line to force water to the pump after you have filled the pump and started it. You could also have a suction side leak which is causing air to mess up the prime. Make sure your pump lid is securely on and the gasket is clean and lubed.
AZ Dry Heat
I'm new here
I'm new here

pump doesnt prime

Postby AZ Dry Heat » Thu 01 May, 2008 17:24

Check your pump impeller for debris, which may cause it to not prime. Make sure the motor cannot turn on while doing this!

The motor & impeller assembly can be removed (on mine anyway) from the pump housing by removing the big Adel clamp and pulling the motor back. Then you can easily access the impeller.

I paid a guy $50 to do this when I had the home warranty, which he fixed in about 5 minutes. He didn't even take the pump apart - just got the palm tree debris out with a screwdriver thru the strainer opening to the pump. Glad I watched - now I solve this easily any time.
dougvr
I'm new here
I'm new here

lube oring...with what?

Postby dougvr » Tue 06 May, 2008 21:12

What exactly do you use to lube the o ring which I suspect is letting air in by the filter basket?

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”