Dogs and "quick set pools"

Discussions that do not fit into any of the
swimming pool categories and general topics.
PackLeader
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

Dogs and "quick set pools"

Postby PackLeader » Wed 02 Apr, 2008 18:17

I've got 3 dogs, two of them are over 100lbs. I was thinking of getting them one of those cheap plastic pools, size of 18'x4' should be about right. The only pool i've ever had was a kiddie pool and therefore i don't know the first thing about maintenance. :oops: My questions are:

1-Is such a pool going to stand up to dogs?
2-Will it be impossible to keep the water clean?
3-I've read some reviews on a few of these pools, and one common complaint is that the filter/pump is too weak. Any idea if there is a way to upgrade?
4-what about temperature? I'd like to be in there too, but I'm not comfortable in water much below 20C (70F). Is there some way to heat these things?

Postby Guest » Wed 02 Apr, 2008 21:57

1-Is such a pool going to stand up to dogs?
No.

2-Will it be impossible to keep the water clean?
Yes.

3-I've read some reviews on a few of these pools, and one common complaint is that the filter/pump is too weak. Any idea if there is a way to upgrade?

Valid complaint... answer is no.

4-what about temperature? I'd like to be in there too, but I'm not comfortable in water much below 20C (70F). Is there some way to heat these things?

Set it in the sun.

Seriously, go buy an above ground. Don't waste your money on a pool that the dogs are gonna rip up and get hair in that you can't sweep? It'd be an eye sore in a few short days plus a sore back from putting the dogs in and out. You couldn't build a deck around it.
PackLeader
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

Postby PackLeader » Thu 03 Apr, 2008 09:47

Thanks for the reply :) My first guess was as you said, but I was really hoping to hear "i've got one, and my dogs go in there all the time, no problem".

I know I could build a little platform for the outside, but once the dogs were inside, I would have to put my shoulder under them to get them out. I don't think I can afford much over $1000 this year, so I suppose we'll have to find some lake or pond to cool off. No idea how much pools cost, but I'd imagine even an above ground is way more than that.

Postby Guest » Fri 04 Apr, 2008 19:42

Save up your money. You could probly have one before you know it!

My dog loves to swim! She'd absolutely die without her pool! :lol: My brother and I along with my dad built the deck and I also bought the wedding cake walk in steps and it makes her exit very easy! She usually dives in, does flips and acts crazy!

Yeah, she loves water.

Return to “Poolside - General Discussions”