Water Hardness

Total hardness and calcium hardness in pool water.
Scale, calcium buildup, hard water and scaling problems.
ddrumm
I'm new here
I'm new here

Water Hardness

Postby ddrumm » Wed 26 Apr, 2006 12:38

I had my pool water analysed by a local pool maintenance company. They said my total water hardness was 1600 and it should be between 275-500. He said to drain pool. My pool is approx. 28000 gallons. Is there any other way to reduce the hardness to an acceptable level short of draining the pool? Or is that the best way go to assure the least amount of wear and tear on the pool equipment?

Thanks,
ddrumm

Pool Helper

Hard pool water

Postby Pool Helper » Wed 26 Apr, 2006 15:58

1,600ppm is way high!

You can get chemicals to "remove" calcium. They "trap" the calcium so it cannot react with anything in the water nor can it cause scale.

Consider using zeolites in your sand filter. This volcanic sand will attract the calcium and hang on to it (like a water softener does). Adding salt to the filter releases the calcium and you backwash the calcium out.
Jeanne

Harness & Scale

Postby Jeanne » Wed 03 May, 2006 17:10

In order to prevent TDS build up (Harness) you can install a TDS Controller on your pool, this will take out a little water every time the TDS increases, your auto fill will replace the old water with fresh water, keeping your TDS at acceptable levels. There is even a unit out there that reuses the old water on irrigation. Never drain your pool again, is what they claim. Good luck :D
goldparrot

Reducing High calcium - Use Trisodium Phosphate

Postby goldparrot » Wed 21 Jun, 2006 17:35

I use TSP to lower the hardness.

Then I use the PhosFree enzymes to eat the phosphorous.

It seems to work great.
mericaz
I'm new here
I'm new here

Using TSP to reduce water hardness

Postby mericaz » Tue 01 Aug, 2006 20:57

How much TSP should I use in a 10,000 gallon pool? I used the initial Phosfree treatment, have backwashed the filter, and my test readings are as follows:
PH: 7.4
Total Alk: 150
Cyanuric Acid: 100
Calcium hardness: 1225
Total Dissolved solids: 1100
Copper/Iron: 1
Phosphates: 50

Should I use the TSP to reduce hardness, and if so, then what do I do after?

I appreciate any help you folks can give me....Mericaz

Return to “Hard Pool Water & Scale”