High pump pressure

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
steveparker

High pump pressure

Postby steveparker » Wed 09 Apr, 2008 19:56

Pump always has run about 20 psi except when DE fileter needs to be cleaned. Now is runs at 30 and the outflow back to the pool is significanlty reduced. I've cleaned the DE filter, changed the 6 way valve and I'm not sure what else it could be. It seems like everything is fine except somewhere before going to return to pool pipe is clogged or something. The only other device I can see in line is the backflow device. Has anyone seen this cause a problem with partially clogging or causing a backup in pressure. What's the risk if you remove this backflow device

Thanks

DBServices
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby DBServices » Fri 11 Apr, 2008 03:58

What typre of backflow preventer do you have? flap or check? The back flow preventer can be replaced, but do not remove.
Dave
The Pool Guy
commercialpools at bellsouth.n e t
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Fri 11 Apr, 2008 09:27

Pump always has run about 20 psi except when DE fileter needs to be cleaned. Now is runs at 30 and the outflow back to the pool is significanlty reduced. I've cleaned the DE filter, changed the 6 way valve and I'm not sure what else it could be. It seems like everything is fine except somewhere before going to return to pool pipe is clogged or something. The only other device I can see in line is the backflow device. Has anyone seen this cause a problem with partially clogging or causing a backup in pressure. What's the risk if you remove this backflow device

When you say you cleaned your filter, did you really take it apart or just backwash?
If you only backwashed then you need to take filter apart & pull out grids & clean inside of filter tank. This should be done once a year so grids last longer. Remember when backwashing it does not remove alot of DE from tank so when backwashing again & again during the year DE builds up along with pressure in tank.

The backflow device you are talking about is called a check valve & normally is in the pipe going from your filter to your heater. It basically works when system is off not allowing water to go down/drop in pipes. This would help pool's spa stay full of water thats higher than the pool.

what equipment do you have?
Oliver W.

I have the same pressure problem

Postby Oliver W. » Thu 24 Apr, 2008 19:37

I have a Hayward system. Took the filter out cleaned it very well washed out the pump inside etc. Running very high 20 to 30 low flow back to pool after the pump has been on 10 15 minutes.
fiddler05

High pump pressure

Postby fiddler05 » Thu 23 Jul, 2009 20:44

Same problem with paper filter system. Clean the filters & pressure goes up right away to 30 psi +. I'm guessing a clog down stream of the fountain adjustment valve.
superdoopie
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

High pump pressure

Postby superdoopie » Fri 24 Jul, 2009 20:00

You could try acid washing the grids. After years of use bather waste (body oils, deoderants, shampoo and tanning lotion) can get clogged in the grids so that water doesn't go through as efficiently. I've seen this happen after 3 or 4 years of use, even when the grids are washed every season. There are filter cleaning products you can buy at the pool store but muratic acid works well.

The biggest problem is finding a container large enough to soak them in and then there's getting rid of the acidic solution. You could just add Ph up until the water is neutral then dump it.

High pump pressure

Postby Guest » Tue 18 Oct, 2011 23:10

My filter has just developed what looks to me like a high pressure problem. Water has started t leak in several places around the seal below the plastic viewing dome in the top. I thought that this was just a simple leak from a prerished seal at first, but it clearly more to do with excess pressure, as trying to seal the leak just resulted in more leaks elsewhere and I can hear pressure escape whistles. I have no experience yet of cleaning pumps or filters beyond back-washing. Any ideas? looks like there might be a blocked valve somewhere, it's behaving as if I were running the pump with the valve on 'closed'. Could it be a stuck six-way valve?
petronavin
I'm new here
I'm new here

High pump pressure

Postby petronavin » Mon 20 Feb, 2012 06:14

try some acid wash it may clear ur problem or else try some new product in market product are good and cheaper..
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

High pump pressure

Postby czechmate » Mon 20 Feb, 2012 14:32

[quote="Pool User"]My filter has just developed what looks to me like a high pressure problem.

When asking for a remedy, please be specific. What is your "high pressure" problem? PSI will help.
Jimmyd

High pump pressure

Postby Jimmyd » Mon 16 Apr, 2012 20:27

how do you determine if you have a slight clog in your return lines? Pressure builds up to 35 psi after about 10 minutes, cleaned and backwashed and still have the same pressure problems. Water flow is great until the pressure starts to go up. Help at wits end
Darla

High pump pressure

Postby Darla » Sun 13 May, 2012 15:42

Pressure valve on pump is running at 30 psi but no flow to pool . if i backwash get good flow to pool for only 1 to 2 minutes. Just replaced all new grids that didnt help still have same problem checked impeller not blockage what should we do now
DevinPool

High pump pressure

Postby DevinPool » Fri 25 May, 2012 18:02

I have a Hayward DE Filter, and last year my pool filter ran fine and I only had to back was it once a week or so. After opening the pool myself, the filter withh either go from 10PSI to 20PSI - where the outflow becomes about nill - in a few minutes, or sometimes after an hour. I have taken the filter out and sprayed it down with a hose at high pressure 3 times, and made sure nothing else was in the bottom of the filter container that could be blocking it. Yet, after running for an hour or so, eventually the pressure creeps up and becomes to great to make the filter run and the outflow stops. What else could I check for or what could be causing this? When I use my vacuum for the pool bottom the pressure goes from 12PSI to over 20PSI in less than 10 minutes.
Joe T
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20,000 gallon in-ground pool, 1.5 hp pump, Hayward sand filter, natural gas heater

High pump pressure

Postby Joe T » Sun 27 May, 2012 19:36

My Hayward sand filter, installed last summer (2011), is also running at about 30 psi. Usual running pressure is 15 psi and I backwash at 20psi. Is this a clogging problem? I did run it continuously for a couple of weeks with a very dirty (mostly algae) pool.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”