pool pump motor

Discussions that do not fit into any of the
swimming pool categories and general topics.

pool pump motor

Postby Guest » Sun 20 Apr, 2008 10:27

I have a 27ft. round,52 inch above ground pool.I bought it used and it came with a 2hp. 115v pump.It cannot be changed to 230v so, to reduce power cost I am going to replace the motor with a 230v.I have 2 questions concerning this 1)for this size pool,can i downsize the motor to a 1.5 hp,or should i stay with a 2 hp. 2)looking at motors online I see some are 2 speed.What are the benifits of a 2 speed vs. a single speed.Thanks for any help!

dakeith

Postby dakeith » Sun 20 Apr, 2008 10:44

kinda confused how u are going to ruduce power cost from going from a 110 volt pump to a 220 volt pump, but u can go down to 1.5 horse pump if u want. something i have read here and other places about pumps is that bigger is not always better :) unless u like spending money when u dont need to

Postby Guest » Sun 20 Apr, 2008 18:26

dakeith, thnx for your response.As far as reducing power cost going from a 115v to a 230v,when you double the applied voltage,you cut the amperage in half.For instance,if a 115v motor draws 12 amps the same 230v will draw half or 6 amps.Amps is the actual current used.This is the same for all electrical appliances.So it will cost about half as much to operate at 220 vs. 115.
dakeith

Postby dakeith » Sun 20 Apr, 2008 22:46

ok, seems like a 220 would cost more to run and more to buy, but back to ur main question about downgrading pump (didnt think about it untill tonight) i have a 18x45 pool and it was sold with a 1 hp pump and did the job well, just bought it from a friend and she replaced the pump with a 1.5 hp so i know if the 1 hp worked ok the 1.5 will work just as good. i think u have a 27 foot pool so a 1.5 should work just fine, but sales guys at the pool store will try to sale u a 2hp be ready for that

Return to “Poolside - General Discussions”