Ready to fill with gas and light

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
justneedsomehelp

Ready to fill with gas and light

Postby justneedsomehelp » Fri 25 Apr, 2008 16:41

Hi all,

New inground pool owner here who is lost and tired. I bought the house with the 22,500 gal inground pool with sand filter in the fall. I open it last week and heres my problems.

Long story short, been thru the shocking, been thru the stabalizer, had to reshock (due to no stab), vacumed many times, kept chlorine levels u to 8-10 for first week or so.

Finally the water turns a real nice blue, smells like a pool, etc. However I cannot get the cloudy appearence out of it, tried some clarifyer (from walmart....) no luck, kept messing with it and finally gave up, took a samle to the local pool store and they said my alk level was too low, gave me 30 dollors worth of stuff to put in and said keep the other levels where they are and this should do it.

Im now 2 days later and Im still cloudy, I do have visibility down to almost 4 feet but nothing more, very little if any change in clarity over the past 4 days or so. Now before I go back over to the pool place with my water sample and spend another 25-50 bucks I figured I try this place out. Below are my test results as of 1 minute ago.

CL 3
BR 4
PH 7.2
ALK 120 (TA)
Hardness 150
CVA 60

I back flush prob every two days in the evening till the glass is clear. What am I missing? ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Fri 25 Apr, 2008 19:37

with a chlorine reading of 3 you are not keeping pool at shock level high enough to clear up your pool. You started to get results with it turning blue but not keeping at shock level stops cleanup.
you need to have your chlorine reading at 20ppm & check it 2-3 times a day & add more chlorine when needed to keep it there. You also need filter running 24/7, backwash when pressure rises & keep brushing pool daily.

you can add bags of shock to start then liquide chlorine to keep it boosted up.
justneedsomehelp

wow, didnt know I had to shock that hard

Postby justneedsomehelp » Sat 26 Apr, 2008 06:58

I will crank up the cl levels as advised, keep it clearly shocked until it clears fully do you suggest?

Time to research the liquid chlorine options unless I buy alot of shock bags.

Thanks for advice, Ill let ya know if we survive this nightmare.
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Sat 26 Apr, 2008 10:43

yes keep chlorine at shock level until clear.
justneedsomehelp

day one update

Postby justneedsomehelp » Sun 27 Apr, 2008 10:13

maintaining 22 cl level going on 24 hours, no change at this point.

FIngers crossed
justneedsomehelp

Postby justneedsomehelp » Mon 28 Apr, 2008 16:31

maintaining 20 cl level now 54 hours, no change yet

never give up....never give in.
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Mon 28 Apr, 2008 17:31

have you backwashed filter when gauge rises? As bad as pool sounds I would think it needs to be done once a day depending on size of filter.
You can also buy a small bag of DE powder & add 1-2 cups to help filter a little better & just replace after backwashing.

I recently cleaned a green swamp pool & it took 1-week for it to clear.

Postby Guest » Mon 28 Apr, 2008 18:41

when was the last time the sand was changed out. that could keep the water cloudy.
justneedsomehelp

Postby justneedsomehelp » Mon 28 Apr, 2008 22:21

Yes I backflush once a day or once every two days, pressure gauge indicates minimal gains in pressure but I do it anyway.

Im told the sand is 3 years old but do not honestly know.

Im gonna give it two days yet, then Ill look at the sand and filter as being the issue.

In retrospec, the pool sounds MUCH worse then it looks, I would post pics if I knew how, the water is not green at all, the water looks real good, its just not clearing up. Visibility is maybe 3 feet at this point.

Like I said Im gonna keep it shocked for a few more days, then we will look at other possible problems.
justneedsomehelp

Postby justneedsomehelp » Tue 29 Apr, 2008 22:03

84 hours? Maybe a little more depth view. Ill let you all know what the end result is when I reach it, thanks for the help.
justneedsomehelp

Postby justneedsomehelp » Sun 04 May, 2008 08:17

Thought I would let ya know, 33 gallons of clorox, dailey backwash, scrubbing and vacuuming 3 times a day, and now and I can finally see the bottom of the deep end. Water is clear but still hazy. All I can say is what a P.I.T.A.

Going to buy more bleach....

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”