Wrinkle in new replacement liner

Liner issues and problems installing or
maintaining above ground swimming pools.
dcothran
I'm new here
I'm new here

Wrinkle in new replacement liner

Postby dcothran » Sun 27 Apr, 2008 06:08

I installed a replacement liner in my pool yesterday (27' AG). Installed foam cove and Gorilla pad. The wall is slightly skewed in a couples of spots and I have 1 wrinkle in the pool that runs the length of the pool. I've pushed the wrinkle from one side to the other to no end. Currently about 3 inches of water in pool. Will straigthing the wall up help? It was really hot and sunny yesterday. Today will be warm and cloudy. Any help with the wrinkle would be greatly appreciated

Postby Guest » Sun 27 Apr, 2008 07:47

3" should be low enough that you and a friend can get in there and pull from each side toward the walls.

It's a lot of work! That one wrinkle is gonna cause a lot more wrinkles as you work it out but it can be done with time and patience... just work it out to the outside walls.

Don't get aggresive and pull too hard as it may damage the liner.

I went through the same thing last year.

What kinda liner is it? Overlap, beaded or J-hook? I'm not sure of beaded or j-hook but you can pull the excess material over the wall with an overlap.

Good luck. Maybe someone else will come along and help out more.
dcothran
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby dcothran » Sun 27 Apr, 2008 07:57

It's a beaded liner. The walls are slightly skewd. I'm going back out in a moment, removing the cap and rails to try and straighten the walls up. After that I'll move to the floor. When I put the vacuum to it yesterday, it was pefect except for that one wrinkle.

Postby Guest » Mon 28 Apr, 2008 19:10

Any luck on the pool?

Is the pool level?
dcothran
I'm new here
I'm new here

Wrinkles in Pool Liner

Postby dcothran » Tue 29 Apr, 2008 08:16

After working all day Friday, Sat and Sunday, I finally gave up. There is a 3/4 inch difference in the pool water level (high spot to low spot). On Sunday, I had (high spot) 2 3/4 inches of water in the pool. Drained the water, remove liner from bead, layed liner exact same distance from wall all the way around and rehung the liner. Put vaccum on pool. Looked perfect 1/2 way around the pool. Did everything I possibly could to get the other half correct to no avail. Still have a 1 inch wrinkle about 5 foot long on the bad half. Added another 2 inches of water. Thought maybe the water weight would help. Didn't. Can't push the wrinkle into the bad half. Already to much there. Liner is already skewing on pool wall. Called a professional yesterday. He came out and played around with it for a few minutes. Said that he would come back either today or Thursday and fix. Said that he would have to drain the water and reset liner. Did not think it would be to much of a problem. Keeping my fingers crossed.
plguy

Postby plguy » Tue 29 Apr, 2008 19:04

First mistake. The water level should not be off 3/4". The blocks should be level. Also, I think you might have put too much sand in. The measurement from the liner bead to the bottom seam should be less than the measurement from the j hook to the pool bottom. This will allow the liner to stretch in. I've been to war with many different above ground pools and pretty much seen it all. Good luck.
dcothran
I'm new here
I'm new here

Wrinkles in Pool Liner

Postby dcothran » Wed 30 Apr, 2008 07:53

My professional called yesterday and said that it would be Thursday before he could come back. I hopped back in the pool with level and 15' 2 x 4 in hand. Laid the 2 x 4 down gently in the pool at different areas with level on top. The pool bottom is level. I walked around inside of the pool and determined that the upper side cove of the pool did not have enough liner. (The bottom is level but the liner was so tight on the upper side cove, it wasn't allowing the water to migrate to that side). I went to the opposite side of the pool and basically started a wrinkle the length of the pool. I moved the wrinkle about 3/4 across the pool. I can already visually see a difference in the pools walls. They are not skewed anymore. I ran out of time, but after work this afternoon, I'll be back in the pool once again to finish pushing the wrinkle. Hopefully this will work and I'll be able to call the pro and tell him I was able to take care of the job. Concering the issue of too much sand. This was a replacement liner. When I took the old liner out, I was actually removing some sand that was stuck to the bottom of the liner. I took a rake and smoothed the sand out and then used a tapper over the whole pool floor, then laid the Gorilla pad and foam cove. Sound correct?
dcothran
I'm new here
I'm new here

Wrinkles in Pool Liner

Postby dcothran » Fri 02 May, 2008 10:29

My professional came yesterday after I was unable to fix the wrinkles myself. He tried resetting the liner himself to no avail. (twice). I had a 3hp Shop Vac hooked up. My professional grabbed his 5.25hp shop vac and what do you know. After about 2 minutes I could tell that everything was going to be ok. It was really amazing how nicely the liner pulled up to the walls. There were about 3 wrinkles in the floor which he pushed out very easily. As of this morning there was 8 inches of water in the pool and climbing.

Postby Guest » Fri 02 May, 2008 13:52

8) YaHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! 8)

Return to “Liner & Above Ground Pools”