New pool owner with green pool

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.

New pool owner with green pool

Postby louisiana-girl » Sun 04 May, 2008 19:45

We recently bought a home with an in-ground pool with a vinyl liner. I think the pool is 12,000 gallons. It was clear and nice when we moved in and then everything went downhill. These are the numbers I have from the water analysis at the pool store. BTW - the recommendations they made have not helped at all.
Free Chlorine - 0.1
Total Chlorine - 0.1
PH - 6.5
Hardness - 40
Alkalinity - 0
CYA - 140
Copper - 3.43
Iron - 0.41
Nitrate - 12.00

Can you help? Nothing I have done has worked and I know very little. I am interested in the BBB method. The money I have put in chemicals to this point seems ridiculous. Thanks for your help :?

additional info

Postby louisiana-girl » Sun 04 May, 2008 20:11

I went to the pool capicity calculator and found out that my pool is actually 26,600 gallons. It has a sand filter. Hope this helps

Postby Guest » Sun 04 May, 2008 21:25

I'd start off with a couple drain refills because the CYA is really high! It needs to be between 30-50. Partial drain/refills is the only way to lower CYA.

So start with that and then we can go from there. :wink:

Postby Guest » Wed 07 May, 2008 09:47

I have drained the pool 2/3 of the way down and am currently refilling it. What should i do next?
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Wed 07 May, 2008 16:38

once you have conditioner in range you need to get chlorine level at shock range of 20ppm & keep it there checking levels 2-3 times a day running filter/pump 24/7 until clear. Backwash filter when pressure rises & brush pool walls 1-2 times a day. Once clear balance the rest of chemicals as PH & TA should be higher 7.5-7.6/80-120.
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

green tint, or algae?

Postby njshorepools » Sun 11 May, 2008 13:52

Hey L-girl...

Once u get that cya down to the right level.. buy your self a bottel of NATURAL CHEMISTYS POOL PERFECT WITH PHOS FREE. Stuff is amazing. all natural, makes water silky smooth, and it removes phosphates from water which is a main food source for algae.. for your pool u would need 3 cap fulls a week... i also agree with the guy above me about shocking the pool, backwashing and brushing. sand filters are the slowest at clearing a pool... have patience....once its clear make sure u stay on top of it... shock it one a week ( 2-3lbs) add your algaecide.. and new chlorine tabs... make sure u bring up that Ph and TA
a SAFE pool is a HAPPY pool...

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”