Can't get all air out

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
dougvr
I'm new here
I'm new here

Can't get all air out

Postby dougvr » Tue 06 May, 2008 07:16

Im house sitting for some folks and pulled the basket out to empty it by the pump. Now, I've filled it back up with a hose, replaced lid tightly (seal is good), yet air bubbles are visible and they don't leave. Help!

muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Tue 06 May, 2008 18:33

Check the o-ring on the lid and make sure it is clean and that you tightened the top enough.
APSP Certified Service Pro
Jandy Tech School
Pentair Tech Training
Raypak Heater School
5 yrs experience
dougvir

Can't get all air out

Postby dougvir » Tue 06 May, 2008 20:09

Thanks...I checked the seal..it looks new and made sure there was no debris. I cranked it real hard and the air is still there. Anything else I should try?
muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Tue 06 May, 2008 21:26

Air in the pump strainer basket usually means there is a suction side leak. More often than not it has something to do with the pump lid. I saw your other post and you use a silicone or teflon based lube such as Magic Lube (what i use) or aqua lube. There are many different types on the market. Also, I'm not sure why your skimmer line doesnt pull when you switch over to waste. When you run the pump on waste are you discharging water? Is there a main drain valve that you can close so all suction comes from the skimmer? Did you prime the vacuum hose prior to attaching it to skimmer?
APSP Certified Service Pro

Jandy Tech School

Pentair Tech Training

Raypak Heater School

5 yrs experience
air leak and pump "

Postby air leak and pump " » Tue 06 May, 2008 22:39

Thanks I will properly lube the ring and hope that fixes it.
When I switch from "filter" to "waste"..I have the skimmer line primed and sucking great. I then turn off the pump, switch to "waste" then turn on pump and nothing.

I can't see the line because it goes underground directly into the sewer system, but there is nothing suction-wise happening at all.

There is another valve that points to different lines, but they are not labeled and I have no idea what they do. Maybe they do direct the flow from skimmer, drain, etc? But wouldn't the skimmer keep drawing under waste as it does on filter? Sorry I don't know more......thanks!

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”