White Mold - EZ POOL - Help!

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
texanvkg
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

White Mold - EZ POOL - Help!

Postby texanvkg » Thu 15 May, 2008 16:03

I have a counter-sunk above ground pool with a DE filter. The pool is chlorinated off-season, and I use EZ Pool (a copper sulfate product) during the swimming season, with one chlorine tablet in the skimmer. I am fighting white (tissue) mold for the second year in a row. Over the last two days, it has overtaken the pool. I have spoken with the folks that make EZ Pool and with the folks that sold me the pool. Both advise that they have never heard of this problem occurring in water treated with EZ Pool, and thus they have no answers. Any recommendations on how to treat and cure this problem would be greatly appreciated.

jdlloyd1183

white water mold

Postby jdlloyd1183 » Fri 16 May, 2008 01:49

Generally a problem from winterinzation, white water mold is present in all soil and water. It tends to grow in the lines, filter, and skimmers, away from light, but ive seen it free floating in a few biguanide (Baquacil) pools. Baquacil has come out with a new product (CDX) to help with the problem,but switching to baquacil is not recommended for you since it binds with copper froming a chewing gum like substance all over the pool.. A good shocking with a graulated shock product whould remedy the problem, but be wary, copper tends to fight with cal hypo shocks, which are common place at pool stores since they generally have the highest levels of available chlorine... go with 1 gallon of liquid chlorine (12.5%) per 10,000 gallons of pool water. Or use store bought bleach(make sure it says sodium hypochlorite on the label, not chlorine free bleach), but you will have to double the dosage, since its half the strength of liquid shock. Follow up with a good Polyquat 60 algaecide, as this will carry any debris after shocking to the filter... a good filter cleaning is recommended afterwards, since the mold likes to live in the filter... hope this helps... any other questions about white water mold, just ask
texanvkg
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

Thanks!

Postby texanvkg » Sun 18 May, 2008 22:38

Thanks much for the info. I will take your advice and treat the pool accordingly.

Thanks Again!

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”