Hayward chlorinator but what type of chlorine do I put in it

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Taurus106

Hayward chlorinator but what type of chlorine do I put in it

Postby Taurus106 » Thu 15 May, 2008 17:35

I have a 12x 21 oval ABG pool that holds around 9500 gallons. I have a hayward (cartridge) filter and recently purchased a hayward chlorinator (100-110 or 200-220- not sure). My pool store retailer sold me some one a day chlorine quick dissolving tabs I think 1" in size. I think they sold me incorrect ones since everywhere I read I should be using 3" inch tabs. I truly have no idea even how to use my chlorinator . I have determined that the dial adjusts the amount of chlorine released into the pool.

I still do not know how many tablets or sticks do I put in at once?

Whats the best way to determine when my pool is low on chlorine or high on it?

I usually get my pool water tested at the pool place- is it a good idea to have one myself at home?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Hayward chlorinator - what type of chlorine

Postby muss08 » Thu 15 May, 2008 18:48

I believe you have the 100/110 as these are for above ground pools. Yes, you should get the SLOW dissolve 3" sticks/pucks as this will make you life easier because you wont be constantly adding the quick dissolve 1". These hold up to 4.2 lbs so i'm sure you would be fine having 4-5 pucks in at one time. Simply unscrew the top and add the pucks then screw the top back on. Has the chlorinator already been installed? I cannot stress enough how important it is for you to get your own test kit. I personally use the Taylor K 2006 and is usually available for $50-$60. Pool store's test results can be off quite a bit. If you read around on here you'll see examples of people taking their water to 4-5 different stores and getting 4 or 5 different results. Some pool store's testing are very good- some aren't. Its hard to tell without your own test kit to compare. Basically, your free chlorine level in the pool should be 10% of what your CYA (cyanuric acid) level is. The best way to tell how much chlorine the chlorinator is adding is to maintain the same amount of pucks inside, adjusting the dial at sundown and testing in the morning. Then do it again the next day with a different dial setting. Hope this helps!
APSP Certified Service Pro
Jandy Tech School
Pentair Tech Training
Raypak Heater School
5 yrs experience

Postby Guest » Thu 15 May, 2008 20:41

Thank you it definetley helps - below is a copy of another post on this site. Now I plan on ordering the tabs and test kit but from reading this below I can assume that i will need Polyquat 60 or phosphate remover- which is better to buy a few bottles of to be prepared for a high CYA reading. Thanks again. Yes I look forward to testing my own water - and mainly ordering my products online since the pool place is highway robbery

However, if you use any of these Trichlor tabs/pucks, then your Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level will likely continue to rise unless you dilute your pool water regularly. So you'll need to use a supplemental algaecide if the CYA level rises, such as a weekly dose of PolyQuat 60 or a phosphate remover. Plus the acidity of the Trichlor will require you to use pH Up (or possibly Borax) to maintain the pH and all of these products are costly -- much more than the Trichlor by itself.
muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Fri 16 May, 2008 22:30

This is true with stabalized pucks. Your CYA will increase over time requiring you to keep the FC level higher. Shoot for a FC of about 10% of the CYA/7.5% minimum. Dont bother with phosphate remover as it takes levels over 3000-4000ppb to get out of hand. Plus phosphate remover is very expensive. A poly60 algaecide is necessary if you keep the FC at the lower end. Just watch your CYA levels and do a partial drain and refill if it gets high.
APSP Certified Service Pro

Jandy Tech School

Pentair Tech Training

Raypak Heater School

5 yrs experience

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”