Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
jfuquay
I'm new here
I'm new here

gunite resurfacing options

Postby jfuquay » Tue 02 May, 2006 18:58

I have a 20-year-old-plus plastered gunite pool whose surface has gotten discolored and rough - really tough to keep clean. It's got two vertical cracks - one on each side, including right through my tile border and following the grout of my flagstone coping. I've had one contractor out so far who pushed Fibre Tech. Waiting for his estimate. It seems like paint isn't really much of a fix - I don't want to do this every 2-3 years. Should I just get ready to spend $$$ and count it as the cost of having a pool?

jim

Walt

Pool cracks

Postby Walt » Wed 03 May, 2006 15:28

Sounds like structural cracking. I don't think paint will hold up long term but is an option for a quick fix every few years.
Plastering is not really an option as the cracking will continue, and may accelerate.
Fiberglass is another option but a costly one.
Perhaps the easiest and most economical would be to put in a liner which should last many years and will withstand any further minor structural cracking or settling the pool may suffer.
davidtin

Postby davidtin » Tue 23 May, 2006 11:39

I have a 30 year old gunite pool also, with 30 years of wear. I drained and "painted the pool with a rubberized apoxy product two years ago. I'm using less chemicals and the pool stays cleaner longer. I expect to get "at Least" 5 years out of this product befor a complete resurface which will cost more than $20,000.

Postby Guest » Thu 05 Jul, 2007 16:15

When should you replaster gunnite pool ?

I am not sure how old my pool is, maybe 25 years. 25K gallons, In ground.

It is a bit rough on kids feet. Every once in a while, they come out with little cuts.

My wife is been telling me that we need to replaster it, or else, we get holes in the gunnite, and I am trying to get this done later, as it is EXPENSIVE.

So, what are the signs, and does holes might be created out of the gunnite ?

Cheers,

Henrique

Postby Guest » Fri 06 Jul, 2007 06:33

when it's rough on the feet or really starts to look bad it's time to replaster. start saving now. in the meantime, get your kids some pool shoes to protect their feet. waiting a few years to plaster will not cause any structural damage to your pool. do it when you're ready.

Postby Guest » Fri 06 Jul, 2007 08:36

I appreciate the fast reply.

This makes me feel better :-) I was afraid that the plaster was so thin that it would go and the water with it :-)

Since I had to replace my heater this yet ( gto the Sta-Rite SR400HD ), and that was a nice change, and will probably have to replace my DE Filter ( 72sqft ), I was trying to push the replastering for a couple more years, so that I have enough money to buy food :-)

Thanks again.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”