solar pool heating

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
John

solar pool heating

Postby John » Wed 03 May, 2006 09:18

I had though of running 3-4 inch ABS black pipe and allow the water to flow through it. Then have the pump shut on and off periodically to allow the water to sit in the pipes to heat up. If it sat for an hour and flushed out for 5 min. and then sat for another hour again. In the evening it could run steady to keep the pool clean. It is only an above ground.
Did anyone try it or have opinions on it.

Pool Helper

DIY solar heating

Postby Pool Helper » Wed 03 May, 2006 14:58

You will get more heat out of this setup if the water flows through the pipes all day, gradually taking the heat to the pool rather than in short bursts.

Running the pump in the cooler evenings will result in heat loss to the surrounding air.

I have heard people mention that the exposed surface area of pipe needs to be at least half the area of the swimming pool to get good results. That sure is a lot of pipe!!
FGO

Solar Pool Heater...

Postby FGO » Sun 07 May, 2006 21:41

They're a nice idea but they really don't work. Gas pool heaters add hundreds of thousands of BTUs/hour to pool water and they can only raise the temperature about 1.5 degrees f an hour if they are properly sized.

What chance does a 5,000 or 10,000 btuh device have when compared to a standard pool heater?

There's a good reason you don't see a lot of them around.
Fontana

Re: Solar Pool Heater...

Postby Fontana » Fri 13 Apr, 2007 16:14

FGO wrote:They're a nice idea but they really don't work. Gas pool heaters add hundreds of thousands of BTUs/hour to pool water and they can only raise the temperature about 1.5 degrees f an hour if they are properly sized.

What chance does a 5,000 or 10,000 btuh device have when compared to a standard pool heater?

This could not be more wrong. I built a heat exchange for my pool that raised the temp 10 -15 degrees using black hose, tempered glass and solar blanket that works AWESOME!!! I built this for around 150.00 bucks, and it is sitting on my patio cover right now.

The reason you do not see this more often is NOT because they are not effective, it is because you can't make as much money selling them as you can the heat pumps in my opinion.
jtweney

help in designing system

Postby jtweney » Thu 03 May, 2007 20:59

Fontana
Where did you purchase your supplies & can you give me the specs you used to designthe system? I have a 21 round above ground and would love to solar heat but research suggests I'd have to spend approx $4000.
sam060459

Re: Solar Pool Heater...

Postby sam060459 » Sat 12 May, 2007 21:51

Fontana -- can you give us more info on your design?? I am interested in trying it, especially if it can be made to look fairly nice. Thanks!

Fontana wrote:
FGO wrote:They're a nice idea but they really don't work. Gas pool heaters add hundreds of thousands of BTUs/hour to pool water and they can only raise the temperature about 1.5 degrees f an hour if they are properly sized.

This could not be more wrong. I built a heat exchange for my pool that raised the temp 10 -15 degrees using black hose, tempered glass and solar blanket that works AWESOME!!! I built this for around 150.00 bucks, and it is sitting on my patio cover right now.

The reason you do not see this more often is NOT because they are not effective, it is because you can't make as much money selling them as you can the heat pumps in my opinion.
dizzey

fontana -pool water heaters

Postby dizzey » Sat 08 Mar, 2008 10:53

Fontana posted on the forum about heating his pool water using tempered glass, solar blanket and rubber hose. Could you elaborate on that as to exactly how you put the package together?[/b]
nellster

solar heater

Postby nellster » Mon 10 Mar, 2008 05:25

I would like to know the specs and specific supplies used to make this solar heater,, very interested for 27 above round.
Nova Scotia, Canada

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”