what appears to be sand on bottom of pool

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
Shawnf617

what appears to be sand on bottom of pool

Postby Shawnf617 » Sun 18 May, 2008 09:35

I have an above ground pool with a hayward de finger type filter. Every year it has what appears to be sand on the bottom of it. Someone told me the fingers need to be cleaned with a chemical. What is the chemical called and what else can be done to prevent the sand like substance to be on bottom of pool?

lm

MILKY WATER

Postby lm » Mon 19 May, 2008 20:50

Took cover off sat 17th water looked like a swamp. three days later water looks like milk.D.E.filter brand new bought end of last season, inground gunite pool 21,000 gals, backed washed 5-6 times tons of shock hardness 100
total chlorine 5
free chlorine 3
ph 6.8
alk 120
meg
I'm new here
I'm new here

DE Filters

Postby meg » Fri 23 May, 2008 15:34

The fine silt on the floor of the pool is DE. You either have a problem the push pull valve not completely setting into place when you backwash or there is a tear in one of the grids.

There are many chemicals you can use to clean the grids. I use all commerically rated stuff like GLB Filter Fresh. Any chemical labled as a Cartrodge Cleaner will do.

Hope this helps.
Pool Chix
dcaudle68

bottom stuff

Postby dcaudle68 » Mon 26 May, 2008 16:09

I have a 21 foot above ground pool, last summer it develped a small leak which i think we were able to patch close to the bottom middel drain. Over the winter and before patching the pool a lot of the fine sand that was under the liner came into the pool. This spring I have sucked all the sand out but even though it appears to still have sand on the bottom in places when I run a brush or foot over it there is no sand, just residue on the liner that i cannot seem to clean off at least under the water with a brush. Will this residue come up and what do I need to use? Thanks for any thoughtS!
jsambo1

Re: DE Filters

Postby jsambo1 » Sat 02 Aug, 2008 19:46

meg wrote:The fine silt on the floor of the pool is DE. You either have a problem the push pull valve not completely setting into place when you backwash or there is a tear in one of the grids.

There are many chemicals you can use to clean the grids. I use all commerically rated stuff like GLB Filter Fresh. Any chemical labled as a Cartrodge Cleaner will do.

Hope this helps.

What is DE? I have a similar problem which has not cleared up with a extra filter on my skimmer basket. I have a sand filter with clean sand this year. I clean out the grid when I change the sand.
Thank you

Re: DE Filters

Postby Guest » Sat 02 Aug, 2008 22:07

You have a sand filter so it wouldn't be DE. DE is the filter media used in DE filters. Different from sand filters.

When you change out the sand you should backwash the filter and then run it on rinse. This will prevent the finer sands from passing through into the pool which is probably what you are seeing.

jsambo1 wrote:
meg wrote:The fine silt on the floor of the pool is DE. You either have a problem the push pull valve not completely setting into place when you backwash or there is a tear in one of the grids.

Hope this helps.

What is DE? I have a similar problem which has not cleared up with a extra filter on my skimmer basket. I have a sand filter with clean sand this year. I clean out the grid when I change the sand.
Thank you
zung rau- vietnam

Re: what appears to be sand on bottom of pool

Postby zung rau- vietnam » Sat 14 Feb, 2009 21:50

Shawnf617 wrote:I have an above ground pool with a hayward de finger type filter. Every year it has what appears to be sand on the bottom of it. Someone told me the fingers need to be cleaned with a chemical. What is the chemical called and what else can be done to prevent the sand like substance to be on bottom of pool?

Dear Sir,
you should empty yr filter from sand, check carefully filtration fingers to find if any broken, if not, check the size of sand media. after that, fill sand again, run bachwash-rinse several times and look at the sight glass if any sand goes out.if not ,yr system is ready to work. Good luck n enjoy yr pool.
Zung- vietnam

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”