Pool still green

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
Frustrated

Pool still green

Postby Frustrated » Wed 03 May, 2006 12:31

I have a 24 foot round pool that has been sitting for 18 months before I bought the house. It was completely green. I have since shocked it and added two bottles of algecide. In addition I have purchased an EC40 Earth Filter. It looks better but still very cloudy and I can't get teh bottom clean. What is this vaccum to waste I keep reading about? How is this done? Should I shock again?

HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP :( [/b]

Pooll

Algea problem

Postby Pooll » Wed 03 May, 2006 14:51

In order to vacuum to waste, you set the multiport valve to waste and then vacuum as usual. The water that the vacuum head sucks in goes directly to waste bypassing the filter.

This is useful if there is a large amount of solid waste on the pool bottom but you lose a lot of water in the process.

You should shock the pool again if the water is green or if the free chlorine reading is below 2ppm.

Postby Guest » Wed 24 May, 2006 14:46

First of all make sure that you have stabalizer in your pool and that the chemicals are staying in the water. Use Clarifier (it is a pretty blue color). Put it in the pool and run the pump over night. Turn the pump off and let sit for 6-8 hours. Vaccum on waste. On the pump there should be an option to move the filter to waste. The clarifier clumps the small particles together, so it is easier to vaccum.

You may need to shock it again, but the water should clear up. Good luck.
pool nut

Postby pool nut » Thu 25 May, 2006 13:34

hi, im going through the same thing with my pool, so i feel your pain. i noticed you said you have an earth filter, i don't think it has a waste as described in other posts. at least mine didnt( i used to have earth filter). i have a sand filter now and it has a waste. anyway when i had my earth filter and wanted to by pass it i would put vacumhead down in pool, hold hose to return valve untill all air passes through, you (will see bubbles come from vacum head) then quickly and i do mean quickly take hose and drop over pool side wall, this will allow water and debris to go straight out to ground( make sure you raise your pool water a few inches before you do this cause when vacuming algea slower is better, you dont want to just stir it around. also cleaning your filter several times a day helps so it can do its job. good luck and happy swimming
Fariborz

Green Color

Postby Fariborz » Thu 08 Jun, 2006 21:23

I opened my pool and the water was clear and since this was my first year I had no idea I was supposed to drop my chlorine tablets in right away. The pool was shocked atthe opening but within a week it turned completely Green. I have been shcoking it every otherday and have added stabilizer but I think I need to do more. My Filter is the cartridge system and there are no kobs to turn for waste. Should I be takingteh cartridges out everyday to hose down since I can not backwash?

Any help would be EXTREMELY APPRECIATED. This has been going on for about three weeks now :(

Thank you.
poolpal
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby poolpal » Thu 15 Jun, 2006 10:27

I just had my pool water tested this morning. My pool water is a light green. I had vaccumed the pool and threw in shock. It's been a few days and it was getting so frustrating.

When they tested my pool water they told me that my calcium level was very low. So, I was suggested to put in calcium hardness increaser and also to lower my pH. Sure enough it's turning from light green to a shade of blue (within an hour I noticed a difference).

I've used a stabilized shock with dichloro in it. But, I was suggested to use a regular calcium hypochlorite shock (non-stabilized) or a lithium shock (which is great for vinyl liners).

If in doubt always try to bring your water to a pool place and have them test your water. Most, if not all places do it for free. It saves the hassle of throwing in un-needed chemicals which is like throwing money away.
knusogkram

above-ground pool, 7500 gallons, still green

Postby knusogkram » Fri 16 Jun, 2006 10:05

I have put five pounds of shock into my pool in the last week and it is STILL green, no change. The filter is always on. I even "stirred" the pool for a while to make sure it was mixed in well! The pool is in full sun all day, which I hear may be part of the problem, aklthough there is nothing I can do about it. I am trying to get this house ready to lease and I need to get this fixed. Any thoughts? Do I show it who's boss and put in five more pounds of shock or what?[b]
mtnviewvj

Algae in pool

Postby mtnviewvj » Fri 16 Jun, 2006 18:01

I bought Clorox to use on the pool. Has anybody tried this to get rid of the algae? I used shocking chemicals & they worked for a while, but the pool became green again.
mtnviewvj

Algae in pool

Postby mtnviewvj » Sat 24 Jun, 2006 15:49

Regarding yr solution- mine's not a liner pool. It's a concrete pool. Because 2 8lb bottles of Clorox didn't work, the store recommended Algae Control, which contains Poly (long chemical formula containing ethylene, dimethyl and dichloride). I was told to use half the bottle- I used half the bottle, then used the pool sweep. It cleaned the pool. I cleaned the cartridges. The algae started spreading again. So, 1 week later, I used the other half bottle & with pool sweep, swept the pool. This time the algae was hard. The pool sweep was unable to sweep all- so I brushed real hard manually with hand & got rid of most of it. I will again clean the cartridges, add more Chlorine. Any suggestion on what to do next? This algae is TOUGH!! :roll: :?

algae in pool

Postby Guest » Thu 06 Jul, 2006 07:50

i have algae in pool we shocked it with 4 pounds of shock should i shock it again and how often can we shock it.
Julian55
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Julian55 » Thu 06 Jul, 2006 23:37

Keep brushing, Chlorine alone won't get rid of algea, you need to get it off the surface of the pool, a poly algaecide 60% is the best. and keep your filter clean.

Clorox is just a very weak liquid chlorine.
Cutz4alls Daddy

green water

Postby Cutz4alls Daddy » Fri 07 Jul, 2006 21:27

heres a secret you have minerals in the water get FERRITABS Happy Swimming KISS KISS :P
Lilly5

Algae

Postby Lilly5 » Sun 09 Jul, 2006 20:41

:(

I have tried for three weeks to clean my pool of green algae. I bought a new filter, I had a neighbor check it, I have added loads of chemicals.
Should I drain the pool and start over? I have an 18 round above ground pool.
Philosofy

Postby Philosofy » Sat 22 Jul, 2006 16:39

OK, here's my problem. I hope its ok to post it in this topic.

We just bought a new house with an in ground pool (30' by 15', I'm guessing 3 ft in the shallow end, 6 in the deep, but I haven't been in it yet.) It has a cover, and when we've had rain, I've pumped off the excess water. The pool water has been crystal clear. Until today when we want to use it. We put chlorine tablets in the skimmer, added a gallon of shock, and the water started turning green. Over 4 hours, with the pump running, its gone from slightly turbid appearance to green, and I can't see the bottom anymore. I added about 3 lbs of powdered chlorine, and half a gallon of algaecide. There is also a white foam on the surface, with some parts a brown color. The pH strips tell me my free chlorine is 10 (or free bromine at 20), with ok being between 1 and 3 for chlorine, and 3 to 6 for bromine. My alkalinity is at 180, with ok being between 80 and 120. My pH is 8.4.

Did I add too much chlorine? How long should it take an addition to fix the problem? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!
doony

green pool

Postby doony » Wed 11 Jul, 2007 18:44

:oops: have above pool this year water is green . people tell me to put pool bleach in it will this help? algae is low help i want to go swimming pleaaaaaaaaase :(

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”