Acid wash vs re-palster

Tile, mosaic, marbelite, Marcite, Marblesheen,
fiberglass, plaster, shotcrete, paint, epoxy coatings.
Use, care and repair of the various surfaces.
Sheri

Acid wash vs re-palster

Postby Sheri » Sun 18 May, 2008 16:18

My pool has never been acid washed and it is 10 or so years old but i want to know if you re-plaster do you need to acid wash first or is acid wash alone sufficient? Is one more costly than the other? Recommendations??? I also have some cracks that they have attempted to repair under water but still show up. Would those be able to be repaired best with pool drained?

muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Sun 18 May, 2008 16:32

To replaster a pool the walls need to be very rough so it will either be acid washed or a material called rough coat will be put on the roughen the pool so new plaster can bond well. What is wrong with your current plaster? If it never has been acid washed it should still be very smooth. If there is heavy staining an acid wash should take care of it. Acid washing strips a very thin layer of plaster off the top to remove stains and makes the plaster look almost new. Cracks should be repaired after the pool is acid washed and still empty. The cracks should be grinded out and filled with plaster repair. Acid washing is much much less expensive than replastering.
APSP Certified Service Pro
Jandy Tech School
Pentair Tech Training
Raypak Heater School
5 yrs experience

Return to “Pool Surface Discussions”