green will not go away

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
tory921
I'm new here
I'm new here

green will not go away

Postby tory921 » Mon 19 May, 2008 06:32

Well unfortunately I did not cover my pool last fall and I managed to get all the leaves, etc out. I shocked the pool and could actually see blue on the bottom. However with tons of rain lately it is green again. I have used bleach, 10 bags of "shock" as they call it, algecide...you name it. The pool is still green. I have swept and brushed with the filter running 24/7. It is a 24 ft round above ground pool. Any suggestions? I don't have the best test kit but am looking into one. The numbers I have are:
TH 200
FC 10/20
PH 7.8 (was 7.5 before all the "shock")
TA 80
CYA 30-50

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Postby Guest » Tue 20 May, 2008 00:00

Make sure to backwash/ clean your filter, and keep the pool running 24 hours, and adjust your pH to 7.6 and dont go lower, as this will help with algae problem. Next you need to test your water for copper and other trace metals, which can consume your shock rapidly and actually cause green colored water to get worse. Brush daily and watch filter pressure, and shock it again after you confirm there are no metals or just go ahead and use a sequestering agent to get rid of them, and backwash after 12 hours. Shock with 4 lbs of calcim hypochlorite, or use 10 gallons of bleach, all at once. continue to monitor and maintain a free chlorine level of at least 3ppm, then get a good flocculant( more expensive means it generally works better)I like NATURAL CHEMISTRY"S CLEAR AND PERFECT, use it all the time with great success. USe this to floc the pool by applying the floc and letting the pool sit with no circiulation for 24-48 hours, then vac settled debirs/ dead algae to waste any other ?'s just ask
CPO certified
Pool water chemistry expert and former pool guy
tory921
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby tory921 » Tue 20 May, 2008 06:48

Well had the water tested and they say no metals. They told me my levels were all in check. The water looks clear when in a glass...but green in the pool. I have brushed and vaccummed a couple times daily but the green seems to be laying around the bottom/liner. Is there a way to get rid of this? Its a light green with a yellow tint.
Thanks !!!
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Tue 20 May, 2008 11:14

If you lower the pool's pH below 7.5 and if it look like it gets clearer, then it's likely to be copper though I don't know why the pool store didn't measure any unless the pH got so high that it all precipitated out (suspended in the water to make it look green). If the lower pH has it get clearer, then add a metal sequestrant. I'm assuming that at this point the water is a "clear yellow-green" and not cloudy. If it's still cloudy, then you can use a flocculant as the previous poster suggested (another floc that is good is OMNI Liquid Floc Plus), but you'll need to be able to vacuum to waste if you use a floc as it will settle contents on the pool floor.

Richard

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”