Question about Doughboy filters

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Watergirl
I'm new here
I'm new here

Question about Doughboy filters

Postby Watergirl » Mon 19 May, 2008 08:15

We purchased a 28' Doughboy above ground, deep swim pool in 2003 from dealer. In 2005 the tank developed a crack in it so we took it back and they replaced it (supposedly a 10 year waranty). Now in 2007 near the end of our swimming season (Sept), another crack appeared and starting splurting out so we had to shut everything down. We put it in our garage and planned on taking it in this year when we were going to reopen the pool and buy our chemicals. The dealer said this is very unusual and started questioning our maintenance regiment, state of our water, etc. trying to find fault with us instead of accepting the fact that they are putting out substandard products. Now he has ordered us one to be picked up this week and is talking about the waranty being on a pro rated policy and we will have to pay 60%. This does not sound right to me. Has anyone else had this problem??? And can anyone reccomend a comparable company and sand filter to go with than what we have now. I am not happy at all with this attitude of the dealer and would like to look elsewhere. We have been patronizing his business for 5 yrs. now and this is the way we are treated. Thanking you in advance for any feedback you can give me.

Postby Guest » Mon 19 May, 2008 11:05

Hi,

First thing I would do is check your sales agreement and any literature on the equipment to see if the warranty is explained in there.

It may be that the warranty is pro rated. That this has happened twice to you tells you they are selling you junk. Is there a brand name on the filter (other than branded Doughboy), size?

Unless you're putting dynamite into the filter, it isn't going to crack from something you've done.

Depending on the cost, I'd take my business elsewhere.

I don't know anything about doughboys but for "real" pool filters 10 years would be considered an early failure. The filter on my pool is a good 30 years old and has never had a crack or problem.

If you're able, take a pic. I'd be interested in seeing this filter.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”