It sucks when it doesn't suck

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
oracsol
I'm new here
I'm new here

It sucks when it doesn't suck

Postby oracsol » Mon 19 May, 2008 19:02

Issue:

There was an water and air leak in the system during the winter (I'm in Texas so the system runs all year). I knew that I wanted to replace the water and paint the pool again so I shut the system off for approx 4 months. At no time did it freeze. After painting, refilling the pool I disassembled the pipes and put more plumber's tape on all the threads and reassembled. I will tell you that I have to replace the catch bucket in the pump because the water got so hot in the pump that it boiled the bucket (air leak at the pump). Nonetheless the motor seems to run without an issue and there is no knocking or grinding sounds. The motor doesn't sound any different than last year. The key difference is that while running and I normally remove the cover to the catch bucket the system roars. Now it just makes a swishing sound and doesn't draw anything including when I attempt to block the hole in the bottom of the bucket with the back of my hand. I thought it might be the might be the impeller and brought the pump to Leslie's pool supplies where they ran a diag on the pump. The girl says it checks out fine but I think it would be a waste of my time to hook it all back up again. I don't want to throw good money after bad but do you think it is the impeller or am I missing something other than a pump that won't suck?

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”