Convert from In Deck system to In Line

SWGs, salt water chlorine generators, chlorinators,
ozone generators, UV systems, . . .
seanfranc61

Convert from In Deck system to In Line

Postby seanfranc61 » Tue 20 May, 2008 08:42

I have an Autopilot Cubby/RC-5 in deck system. Considering switching to SC-36 In Line. Anyone tried this? Would prefer to do it myself......does not seem too difficult.
Three questions
1. Does the SC-36 need a separate flow switch?
2. What are "Unions"?
3. How do I know where to plumb? I have a heater and spa.....

Strannik-au
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Strannik-au » Tue 20 May, 2008 09:22

1. SC-36 manifold has a built in flow switch

2. Union is a type of fitting which you can unscrew to disconnect the pipe. I suppose you are referring to the cell , which is connected via 2 barrel unions, so they can be unscrewed and cell can be taken out for inspection.cleaning/replacement.

3. Should be the last one on the line. You can plumb it either before a spa diverter valve, or after. I would suggest doing it after, that way you won't overchlorinate your spa in a spa-only mode.

Hope that helps. :)
seanfranc61

Postby seanfranc61 » Tue 20 May, 2008 14:39

Do I need the manifold since I have a Cubby system or just the sc-36 cell (plus cord to connect cell to control box)?
seanfranc61

Postby seanfranc61 » Tue 20 May, 2008 14:41

Scratch that......I was looking at the wrong manifold.....I got it now.....thanks......
seanfranc61

Postby seanfranc61 » Wed 21 May, 2008 15:02

Next question.....almost immediately after the spa/pool valve, my plumibing enters the control box for the "sweeps" that kick debris up off the bottom of the pool. Would I be best off to splice the cell in between the valve and the sweep control box?
Strannik-au
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Strannik-au » Fri 23 May, 2008 07:42

Normally you are supposed to fit the SWG the last on a line, because high chlorine concentration in the water after it passes through the cell can corrode other equipment.

I'm not sure that i understand correctly what this control box is, but if there are no metal parts inside it then it should be fine fitting the cell before it, otherwise you need to fit in the cell after it.

Return to “Salt Water Chlorine Generators, Ozone, UV”