Chemicals do not seem to be working - New owner, please help

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
NJJoe

Chemicals do not seem to be working - New owner, please help

Postby NJJoe » Wed 21 May, 2008 12:52

Hello -

I just moved into a home with an inground liner pool. I've never owned a pool before and we had a company come over to open it a few weeks ago. After the pool was opened, I took a water sample to be analyzed and all of the levels (chlorine, alkalinity, pH) were extremelly low. I was told to add both Alkalinity Up and Shock (I was given precise directions) and then to go back and retest.

A few days later I went back to retest the water and again all levels were very low. The guy tested for copper and that test came back positive. I was told that any traces of metal in the water would prevent the chemicals from working and that I needed to add MetalFree to the pool. I did, again went back and retested, and the copper was gone. At that point, I was told to add Alkalinity Up, Soda Ash, and Shock to get all of the levels to where they need to be......I did and just went back to retest. You guessed it - all levels still very low.

They are now telling me to add more Alkalinity Up and Soda Ash.

Maybe this is just the process, but does it sound like something else could be wrong, or that I'm going about this the wrong way?

Thanks for your help.

muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Thu 22 May, 2008 20:03

First off, get your own test kit. It is the best investment you will make. I use the Taylor K 2006 which is very accurate and reliable. Stay away from strips. Do your OWN testing. Some pool stores are great, some ONLY want your money. The best way to tell is to test your own water then match it to their tests. Metals in the pool doesnt prevent chemicals from working. They can cause stains when your pH gets high. IF you had copper in your pool then the metalfree is good however, the copper is still there. The metal free keeps the copper in solution so it doesnt cause staining. Post a full list of your chemistry and your gallonage and I will be able to assist you. gallonage=Length x width x avg. depth x 7.5.
APSP Certified Service Pro
Jandy Tech School
Pentair Tech Training
Raypak Heater School
5 yrs experience
Duffy Pools

Postby Duffy Pools » Fri 30 May, 2008 21:02

Keep three to four 3inch tabs in the skimmer. They last about six days.

Next get a frog and throw it in the pool. If the frog doesn't die in a day or so then your water needs more chlorine.

Think of your swimming pool as a big toilet. The old saying goes "I don't swim in your toilet so please don't piss in my pool.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”