drain or not?

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
slprncess

drain or not?

Postby slprncess » Wed 21 May, 2008 18:00

I have been batteling my pool for a very long time now. I was told that i needed to replace my system 3 filters. My pool is so green right now! I bought new filters and here in my question.
Should I just drain my pool and start fresh with new water and the new filters or should I try to clear up the algeae with the new filters?

I have a black pebbletec pool and it is about 25,000 gallons.
This whole thing has made me never want to own a pool again.
The last time we had to drain the pool was about 6-10 months ago. I wasnt aware of the filters until just recently.

Thanks for all your help!

mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Wed 21 May, 2008 21:15

I
have been batteling my pool for a very long time now. I was told that i needed to replace my system 3 filters. My pool is so green right now! I bought new filters and here in my question.
Should I just drain my pool and start fresh with new water and the new filters or should I try to clear up the algeae with the new filters?

I have a black pebbletec pool and it is about 25,000 gallons.
This whole thing has made me never want to own a pool again.
The last time we had to drain the pool was about 6-10 months ago. I wasnt aware of the filters until just recently.

Thanks for all your help!

is your filter a Sta Rite system 3 cartridge filter around 300sqft? As those 2 cartridges should last 10-12yrs even longer if taken care of properly.
If you just replaced water 6-10 months ago I would suggest clearing up algae.
to start you are going to want to get your water tested to see where you stand. The 2 most important things right now would be chlorine & conditioner level. The chlorine level is going to have to be above 20ppm & have to stay there until clear running pump/filter 24/7 checking level 2-3 times a day adding liquide chlorine to keep boosted. The conditioner level should be 50-60ppm to protect chlorine so you may need to add some if low. If conditioner level is 100ppm or higher you want to lower conditioner level as to much makes chlorine less effective/weaker & the only way to lower it is to do partial drain & refills until at correct level.
Once pool is clear you can go ahead & balance the rest of the chemicals.
Know as you are clearing up pool keep an eye on filter gauge & when it rises 10-15lbs higher you want to clean cartridges & the best way is to rinse with garden hose then spray on some filter cleaner & allow it to soak for 20-30 mins & rinse again. Depending on how bad of algae could be 1-2 times but those cartridges are made to hold more than others as they use both the outside & inside of the cartridge & others only the outside.
slprncess

Postby slprncess » Thu 22 May, 2008 01:46

ok so if I get this right, you are suggesting on not draining the pool and just try and clear it up with chlorine? How many jugs of liquid chlorine do you think I should start out with? I tried putting in 3 when it started going green about a week ago and it did nothing but that could have been from the filters not working properly.
After the chlorine should I add a algaeside or do that before hand? I know there is zero chlorine in it right now.
Hopefully this helps! I will start the process tomorrow or maybe friday.
Thanks
slprncess

Postby slprncess » Thu 22 May, 2008 01:49

Oh and I forgot to add, yes they are a starite system 3 filter with the large one and the smaller one. model number s7m120. I am not sure what happened to my filters but I know they are not working. I was told one of them or both of them had a crack in it. How would I know that both are bad? I purchased the large one but havent gotten the smaller one yet. Is there a chance that i may only need the larger one and not the smaller one?

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”