CLOUDY BLUE WATER!!

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.

CLOUDY BLUE WATER!!

Postby Guest » Wed 01 Jul, 2009 11:02

My bad also if you are using a stabilizer, is cynuric acid it will make water cloudy, this weakining chlorine. Be carefull mastermason dcpoolguy out.

mn123

CLOUDY BLUE WATER!!

Postby mn123 » Sun 02 Aug, 2009 11:07

We had the ppol store out here to get the pool started and i was completely clear. Then we ended up with small holes in different parts of the pump... This happened twice which resulted in air getting into the pump and it not functioning Properly. the pool person was out to fix it after the first incident and it never quite got as clear as it was again. The second time they fixed it and never reshocked it... We changed pool people because teh firs tone we used was supposed to explain everything to us because we had never had a pool and did not. He even did not tell us he only had one skimmer open in the first place someone else told us we needed both running.

Now we are at a point where the pool is cloudy blue as the sky and can't get it completely clear.We have been working on this cloudy blue issue for 2 weeks now after about 200.00 worth of chemicals. The pool store keeps telling us to just keep adding liquid chlorine. This is a sand filtered pool. We tried to vaccum the other day and needless to say went to pull it out to shock some more and I pulled the hose out before the vaccum and the hose detached from the vaccum and now we can't find it in the pool, LOL, good one huh? Anyway our chlorine levels are very high as we have only bought the kit that turns colors with the chlorine and PH levels on it. The PH is also very high. It turns purple, like off the charts, but the pool store says not to worry about that until the ool is clear. Well, the pool isn't clearing and we added 20 more gallons of chlorine yesterday...

It is now Aug 1st and we are ready to give up but our son would like to have a pool arty for his 15th bday in 4 weeks and we have dumped so much money into it at this point it seems like such a waste... We have only used the pool twice this year due to all of the problems... Can someone please help??? Affordably???
Camden
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: I have a 16000 gallons water capacity, rectangular with an oval shape at shallow end, plaster all around, filter grid

Cloudy Blue Water!!

Postby Camden » Thu 20 Aug, 2009 16:07

I have the same cloudy blue sky water like you; asked the pool guy I'll pay him for the service but he said I'm very close getting my water crystal clear. This pool guy services my brother's pool and I tested his water and it's way of the chart; some how the amazing thing is his water is crystal clear and I mean crystal clear. One problem I noticed my brother's pool is all the original plaster was gone, left of it was just cement. As for mine when I brush or rub my hands against the plaster, a smoky white residue that came from the plaster and its also contributing to my cloudy pool also. As of right now I'm cleaning my grid filters everyday, and you know what small particles and some kind of powder from all dissolving chemicals clinging to my filter. I wonder that is a contributing facts to cloudy water. I keep you posted if it works.
Camden
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: I have a 16000 gallons water capacity, rectangular with an oval shape at shallow end, plaster all around, filter grid

Cloudy Blue Water!!

Postby Camden » Sun 23 Aug, 2009 10:55

Hi, you have put too much chlorine in your pool, that is way too much for a 20,000 gallons pool. Don't add any more chemical to the pool right now, if you don't want to replace the pump then use teflon tape wrap it around the hole then buy an epoxy putty stick and fill the hole for the time being. This is a temporay solution, mine is as bad as yours, but it's doing the job for me. My skimmer elbow pipe was complete broken; asked a professional for an estimate to fix $1200 just for the pipe. I rented a jackhammer, cracked open the cement in 5 minutes and went to home depot got an 8 dollars elbow pvc pipe and it's fixed. I'm no professional but these pipes are 3 feet deep so nothing is hard to do.As far as the cloudy water, there are microscopic contaminants in your pool which needed to be filtered out, you should try cleaning the filters until you no longer see these particles. I'm a beginner, my pool was green and I have tried everything the pool stores told me. I have every chemical you could think of. Then I realized it's not working from what these thiefs told me. The amount of chlorine in your pool right now will disipate from the sun and don't swim in it right now. What I had was a green pool and now is crystal clear. I have a grid filter and I ran the pump everyday for 8 hrs and nothing clears up. Then I took out my grid filters and rinse it off, I can't believe what was clinging to the filters. I then use Diatomaceous earth powder and pool clears up the green water, however; cloudy water is present, I can see the bottom. However, Diatomaceous powder only works if my filter is clean free, I clean my filters everyday after running the pump for 8 hrs for two weeks,believe it or not its a no brainer, it works, and I mean it works. Until all Diatomaceous earth powder is gone, I bought a bottle of Water Clarifier and pour 5 ounces in the most cloudiest area, run the filter for 16 hrs and no more secret about cloudy pool anymore. Now my pool is crystal clear all by accident.
mn123 wrote:We had the ppol store out here to get the pool started and i was completely clear. Then we ended up with small holes in different parts of the pump... This happened twice which resulted in air getting into the pump and it not functioning Properly. the pool person was out to fix it after the first incident and it never quite got as clear as it was again. The second time they fixed it and never reshocked it... We changed pool people because teh firs tone we used was supposed to explain everything to us because we had never had a pool and did not. He even did not tell us he only had one skimmer open in the first place someone else told us we needed both running.

Now we are at a point where the pool is cloudy blue as the sky and can't get it completely clear.We have been working on this cloudy blue issue for 2 weeks now after about 200.00 worth of chemicals. The pool store keeps telling us to just keep adding liquid chlorine. This is a sand filtered pool. We tried to vaccum the other day and needless to say went to pull it out to shock some more and I pulled the hose out before the vaccum and the hose detached from the vaccum and now we can't find it in the pool, LOL, good one huh? Anyway our chlorine levels are very high as we have only bought the kit that turns colors with the chlorine and PH levels on it. The PH is also very high. It turns purple, like off the charts, but the pool store says not to worry about that until the ool is clear. Well, the pool isn't clearing and we added 20 more gallons of chlorine yesterday...

It is now Aug 1st and we are ready to give up but our son would like to have a pool arty for his 15th bday in 4 weeks and we have dumped so much money into it at this point it seems like such a waste... We have only used the pool twice this year due to all of the problems... Can someone please help??? Affordably???
mn123 wrote:We had the ppol store out here to get the pool started and i was completely clear. Then we ended up with small holes in different parts of the pump... This happened twice which resulted in air getting into the pump and it not functioning Properly. the pool person was out to fix it after the first incident and it never quite got as clear as it was again. The second time they fixed it and never reshocked it... We changed pool people because teh firs tone we used was supposed to explain everything to us because we had never had a pool and did not. He even did not tell us he only had one skimmer open in the first place someone else told us we needed both running.

Hi,
Patti

CLOUDY BLUE WATER!!

Postby Patti » Tue 08 Sep, 2009 14:08

I had the same cloudy blue water everyone is talking about. Someone on this site recommended Superfloc. I ran to my pool store and asked about it and they also said its the way to go. Sure enough... two days later I was finally able to see the bottom and sides of my pool. The floc gathered all the cloudiness and junk and brought it to the top of the pool water in clumps. I had to wait until the clumps settled to the bottom and then vacummed the pool up. Its nice and clear now, even though we have to now cover it for old man winter.
Camden
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Cloudy Blue Water!!

Postby Camden » Wed 09 Sep, 2009 11:54

Mullins wrote:my water is light blue and hazy. has been this way for 2 weeks and cannot get it cleared up. any suggestions to help me?

Hi, what kind of filter do you have? I had the same problem, and there is no secret to have clear water. If the water is blue, cloudy, or hazy, it is the filter problem. I didn't even have to floc my pool and besides pool chemistry is overated.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

CLOUDY BLUE WATER!!

Postby chem geek » Wed 09 Sep, 2009 12:33

There are many possible reasons for cloudy water with 100 of them listed here. One should start by looking at the pool water chemistry since it will tell you 1) if the chlorine level is too low so that the cloudiness could be an impending algae bloom or 2) if the calcium carbonate saturation is too high. Floc'ing the pool is only a temporary fix if the water chemistry is off.

Poor filtration/circulation would be next so checking the filter as you say would be the next step if the Free Chlorine (FC) level relative to Cyanuric Acid (CYA) was OK and the calcite saturation index isn't too high.

Since chlorine effectiveness is significantly reduced by CYA, it is important to look at the combination, specifically the ratio of FC/CYA. If the FC isn't at least 5% of the CYA level, then green algae can grow faster than the chlorine can kill it. The standard recommendation of 1-3 ppm FC is insufficient unless the CYA level is quite low. A CYA level of 30 ppm should never have the FC below 1.5 ppm and a CYA level of 80 ppm should never have the FC below 4 ppm unless one uses a supplemental algicide at extra cost.
Trev

CLOUDY BLUE WATER!!

Postby Trev » Mon 26 Apr, 2010 00:53

Old post I know.....but flocking is the way to go. Balance chems, know your pool gallons/litres, add correct amount of floc or way more, don't turn off pumps, leave on filter or better recirculate, cover overnight if poss. Vacuum to waste.
2ji88

CLOUDY BLUE WATER!!

Postby 2ji88 » Fri 30 Apr, 2010 08:59

Hey, don't give up.. i am going through the exact same thing. I flocked last year and it was like a miracle, from not seeing the bottom to it being crystal clear. this year, it did not work. So, I was told to vacuum even though i could not see the bottom. i did, and a ton of stuff came up. i vacuumed to waste, not recirculate. then, i put the pump on backwash and added a filter cleaner, ran backwash until the water was clear (this took a while). I cleaned the filter again. The water is clearing up, but is still very cloudy. I would suggest you vacuum, clean filter, check chemicals (alkalinity and ph are very important). By the way, raise alkalinity first then check ph. raising alk. will raise ph some. use shock and let the pool circulate for 24 hours. BAckwash several times during the 24 hours. I do it about every 3 hours and it always needs it. if not clear after this, flock again, but use the whole bottle. Put in the flock by spreading it over the entire pool area to best of yoru ability, circulate for two hours, turn off pool and let sit for 24 to 48 hours. And hey, don't be so hard on people who are trying to help you. It is just a pool.
Dan B

CLOUDY BLUE WATER!!

Postby Dan B » Sat 08 May, 2010 06:50

Have you checked your Cyanuric acid.If its to high you will have drain some water out around 20%. You might have to do this 3 or 4 times .It worked for me. What type of chlorine are you using. Let me know. Good luck
joannelcoq

CLOUDY BLUE WATER!!

Postby joannelcoq » Sat 22 May, 2010 07:36

I have a cloudy pool due to the cement contractors dripping their mortar into in while fixing the coping brick. I have an inground vinyl pool 22,000 gal. I have shocked 3 times but can never see the bottom. I have vacuumed blindly and have picked up cement chunks and other debris. The water is blue but not clear, ph and alkalinity is good. The total hardness is low and it says I need cyanuric acid but I dont have metals in my pool. Do you think this floc with work? Is it the same as a coagulator ? I vacuum to waste and backwash and keep putting the DE back in. I feel Im wasting all my chemicals. What now? Help !!! Thank you. :crazy:
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

CLOUDY BLUE WATER!!

Postby chem geek » Sat 22 May, 2010 12:59

If filtration isn't clearing the pool, then you could either use a flocculant such as OMNI Liquid Floc Plus and then vacuum-to-waste or you can use a clarifier such as BioGuard Polysheen Blue and then backwash/clean the filter. If there is a LOT of material, then a flocculant is better otherwise your filter will get clogged and need to be backwashed/cleaned several times. If there isn't so much or if you are unable to vacuum to waste then a clarifier may be your only option.

CLOUDY BLUE WATER!!

Postby Guest » Sat 05 Jun, 2010 21:40

Ok we had extremely cloudy water. All the chemicals were right on so decided to do a Floc from Leslies.
It has clearly helped tremendously but I don't understand how using the polaris to vacuum to waste can possibly clear out the floc. I turned on the polaris to waste and the floc just ended up spreading out all over the pool again and clouding it up. I also backwashed the filter a few times, because I had put floc in the skimmer to clean the sand filter.
The net on the polaris just basically lets the floc go right thru it and spreads it out all over pool again. Am I supposed to use something else to vacuum to waste for floc>\?
Help its hot here in Texas and I want my pool back!

CLOUDY BLUE WATER!!

Postby Guest » Sun 06 Jun, 2010 07:13

i have used floc and it worked just as the man said, i had no problems. something in your pool is not correct,you claim you cant see the bottom are there any leaves or debris on the bottom. Just out of curiosity,you say you have had your pool 15 years, why do you call yourself pool newbie......
farmgirl

CLOUDY BLUE WATER!!

Postby farmgirl » Thu 10 Jun, 2010 15:29

Help my pool is cloudy and blue I have done everything the pool company has told me. All levels are good but it shows no clorine in the pool. I have shocked it alot still no reading. Help my husband will make me drain the pool and throw it away.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”