Tiger Shark QC vs Dolphin Diagnostic vs Aquabot Turbo

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
goldsternp
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 50 ft x 15 ft. TPO liner. 8 ft max depth

Postby goldsternp » Mon 05 Dec, 2011 00:43

Over five years I have suffered with Hayward Tigersharks and Dolphin Diagnostics. I have no intention of buying either one again.

Both have problems with the tracks eventually stretching and jumping off the wheels. To change the tracks at least twice a year requires splitting the case.

The Tigershark has paper filters that require frequent replacing and the diagnostic has a bag which is awkward to deal with and has a tight weave restricting water flow/suction. Both units have all the complex logic in the robot and a single o ring around the drive shaft that leaks after a year and there goes the expensive motor for $400.

The Diagnostic arrived with a defective motor assembly and defective remote control. With lots of arguing both were eventually replaced. The Dolphin remote control is not exactly intuitive to use.

I have now purchased a Smartpool Direct Command Robot and so far I am impressed:

1. It is light.

2. The filter bag is easy to service.

3. The tracks can be changed if needed without disassembling the unit.

4. The logic appears to be in the Power Supply and the robot motor looks like a nice and robust unit similar to one that I have in an Aquabroducts Junior that I use to clean my rainwater tanks. That unit is similar to Aquabot using a jet for drive power and it has run without a problem for 3 years now.

5. I have the impression that owner maintenance is encouraged while Hayward and Dolphin treat me like an idiot ( I have retired as a corporate pilot with FAA Aircraft Maintenance and Inspection licenses and never had an aircraft I serviced fail but I guess that still doesn't qualify me to service a pool robot according to Hayward and Dolphin).

6. The Remote Control works the way one would expect it to work and confirms commands with a beep.

I decided against the Aquabot as I thought it was a bit pricey considering the simple drive system and also I was concerend that the water jet propulsion would be inadequate on the sloping sides of my TPO liner pool which is 50' x 15'.

Bottom line is stay away from Hayward and Dolphin products until they improve their units and lower their prices.

That's my opinion. I am willing to identify myself so here's my email if anyone wants to contact me,

goldsternp@alum.mit.edu

John75

Postby John75 » Sat 10 Mar, 2012 19:30

Hi Ron! Have you checked this guide to swimming pool covers at http://www.indoorpoolguide.com/pool-covers
Gemnobay

Postby Gemnobay » Mon 26 Nov, 2012 02:13

If any robotic pool cleaner filtered down to 2 micron the thing would block up in 2 seconds! DE Filters only filter to 2.5 micron! It is simply misleading advertising from Hayward and Aquabot. If it were true then wouldnt a pool filter come out using that material????
Kate

Dolphin Diagnostic

Postby Kate » Mon 26 Nov, 2012 02:37

I totally disagree. I have a Dolphin and have absolutely no problems at all with cable tangles. Their machines are the only ones on the market with a cable swivel to prevent this from happening. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucIgRAUQmX8
Ted

Re: Tiger Shark QC vs Dolphin Diagnostic vs Aquabot Turbo

Postby Ted » Sun 24 Apr, 2016 15:08

Aquabot T2 sucks. I am sick of untangling the cord. I am leaning toward Dolphin Nautilus Plus after reading reviews.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”