D.E. in my pool

Liner issues and problems installing or
maintaining above ground swimming pools.
Jpkrunch

D.E. in my pool

Postby Jpkrunch » Fri 05 May, 2006 14:52

When I first got my above-ground ppol in 1999, I was charging it for the first time and I noticed the D.E. shooting right through the Filter and out the return jet. For five years I had D.E. in my pool that just won't vacuum out (it scatters into the water and later settles) Eventually it got darker.

Now I had a new liner installed and, you guessed it, D.E. all over the bottom of the pool. I weighed out 5# of D.E. and poured it into the skimmer using a measuring cup as fast as I could. Driving me crazy. I had changed the entire filter system - both were Heyward - from the cartridge type to the finger type and still the same problem.

I don't get it. Help, please!

How do I get the D.E. out and how do I stop this from happening again?

Waterfun

DE filter problem

Postby Waterfun » Fri 05 May, 2006 17:05

Can you vacuum the DE up with your new filter? Really shouldn't "puffback" so much DE as to cause a problem such as you describe.
Wanda323

Postby Wanda323 » Sat 06 May, 2006 01:25

:roll: What is DE?
Jpkrunch

Postby Jpkrunch » Mon 08 May, 2006 10:45

Well, I found the problem. It was the rubber gasket at the top of the filter. Corroded to the point it was leaking. And only 2 years old! Since my old system also had a hole (in the filter grid)and was only 3 years old when i found it, it would appear that chlorine is backing into the filter system and corroding things. I have now added some hosing so that the chlorinator is further away and lower (as in - on the ground) from the filter and hopefully that will solve the problem. Still doesn't explain why I got D.E. in the pool the very first time I charged it. The filter must have been defective from the factory.

It looks like I had some decent success vacuuming. There was definitely some "puffback" but apparently not as much as in the past. It was probably a combination of a small leak in the filter (then gasket on the second one) and the puffback that was giving me fits. Hopefully when I get home today there won't be too much DE settled back onto the pool floor.
tomNtrish

DE in Pool

Postby tomNtrish » Sun 18 Jun, 2006 11:08

Jpkrunch wrote:Well, I found the problem. It was the rubber gasket at the top of the filter. Corroded to the point it was leaking. And only 2 years old! Since my old system also had a hole (in the filter grid)and was only 3 years old when i found it, it would appear that chlorine is backing into the filter system and corroding things. I have now added some hosing so that the chlorinator is further away and lower (as in - on the ground) from the filter and hopefully that will solve the problem. Still doesn't explain why I got D.E. in the pool the very first time I charged it. The filter must have been defective from the factory.

It looks like I had some decent success vacuuming. There was definitely some "puffback" but apparently not as much as in the past. It was probably a combination of a small leak in the filter (then gasket on the second one) and the puffback that was giving me fits. Hopefully when I get home today there won't be too much DE settled back onto the pool floor.

I have the same problem on and off. They told me it's too much DE in the filter. Even though I'm pretty careful when I measure, sometimes it packs down in the scoop and I put in more than required. That's when I get the media washing back in the pool after the filter starts. After it runs a few minutes, it seems OK, but it's an endless cycle since I don't run my filter 24/7. The only solution is to empty the filter and re-measure the DE. Also, the media is suppose to be poured into the skimmer very slowly to give it time to stick to the grids. Sometimes if it's poured in too quickly it settles in the bottom of the filter and can get washed back into the pool.

Return to “Liner & Above Ground Pools”